Throwing Star LAN Tap Pro

sonicdiscovery

Hello,

Just a quick support question. I am sure I am doing something wrong here. I purchased the throwing star and have set up a few different configurations. I have wireshark set up, and for some reason I am unable to get the 4th port to read data. Everything else works great and I tested to make sure both my computer ethernet ports are working correctly. The 4th port on the Lan Tap Pro I am referring to, is the one pointing upward from the word 'Scott.'

Is there something I can check to make sure that port is working?

Thank you very much,

Jeff

I pretty sure that 2 ports connect to the network you are sniffing and the other two are to sniff the traffic both ways so you have to have a second Nic to monitor the traffic going the other way.

Sniff Incoming

|

Network in _________________Network out

|

Sniff Outgoing

I pretty sure that 2 ports connect to the network you are sniffing and the other two are to sniff the traffic both ways so you have to have a second Nic to monitor the traffic going the other way.

Sniff Incoming

|

Network in _________________Network out

|

Sniff Outgoing

Correct!

So your laptop/desktop should be set up like so, eth0 set in monitor hooked to either "sniff" port, eth1 set to monitor hooked to the other "sniff" port. The tap will be placed inline between the switch and computer you want to monitor. From there you set wireshark to listen to both ports.

Thank you...I double checked my cables and appear to have things correct, so far.

I have my tap in between the router and the switch with the internet traffic passing through well to/from the target computer. (the target computer is active on the internet.)

I have tested both my ettheret ports (internal and a usb 3.0 adpater) and they are working fine. I tested each port with the one port traffic that the tap does see and wireshark reads them fine.

Both ehternets are in proms mode. Maybe it is a bad unit..? I would be surprised though. As I mentioned, I am referring to, is the one port pointing upward from the word 'Scott' on th device.

Is there a way to test this port to see if traffic is happening?

Thank you for the replies...