Windows Upgrade Hung

Forgotten

Well folks, it happenned.

I have here beside a computer that has hung after around 30 minutes of upgrading from Windows XP Home to Professional.

At the "Installing Windows" phase, at "Installing Devices" part of that section... I got a window asking for the driver for the Realtec Sound Driver yada yada yada and mentioned something about soundman.exe. I tried to press ok, but no drivers were found. So I clicked cancel. It hung.

What can I do? I dare not reboot until I get some advice from you guys. Are my files safe?

okay there is no guarantee that your files are safe. If your files are on a seperate partition from the one you are installing windows then yes they are prob safe. Now if they are on the same one then you will be running a risk. My recommendation would be to reboot and use a linux live to reocver what data you can off the drive and then reboot and try again. :) Remember back up back up back up. 8)

Oh god but I got cocky. This was the 5th computer that was getting upgraded... And they all worked out..

I knew it, my laptop is way too tweaked out to have a smooth upgrade.

Please anyone else, share your thoughts and ideas.

[EDIT]

I do have a linux live cd, but how do I go in and try to retrieve data if the live disk is in the tray? You think I can try to send it over the network to another computer?

Ok, sorry for double post, but it appears that the reason why it hangs is because soundman.exe can't be found on the disk.

So! I can reboot and setup can continue no problem, and it appears that my files are intact at this point.

What do I do about the soundman.exe problem? This never happenned on the 4 other computers I have upgraded with this disk with... Again thanks for the support