1. 1.

• DVD-Rom
    • DVD-R
    • DVD+R
    • DVD-RW
    • DVD+RW
    • Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    • A whaat?

Hello, i have a sony DVD RW DW-Q28A drive and while searching for firmwear upgrades, I stumbled upon interesting information. according to http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=155686 this forum, SONY DW-Q28A = SONY DRU-800A =LiteOn SOHW-1693S. Is this true? If so, it means that my drive is actually dual layer +/- and would be awesome!!!

at the moment, I am under the assumption that it is only a DVD+/-RW.

If this is true, how did this happen and why has the firmware been supressed?

Simple answer: Flash it with the LiteOn firmware and see if it can burn DL discs...

Do so at your own risk, flashing drives can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, even more so if you're flashing to another drive's firmware.

My HP DVD+/-RW/RAM drive is currently running as an LG drive and it doesn't seem to mind... I lost LightScribe functionality but I don't use it anyway... I flashed it because the drive sucks and I tried to make it at least a little more reliable. Alas it doesn't seem to have worked but it's not worse either so I'm not worried... I'm just gonna get a new drive anyways...

yea, i figured it could be dangerous do flash the drive. I have no idea how to flash it or with which firmware. I can't seem to find any confirmation that this sony drive is actually the Liteon. It works great now, but the liteon firmware is supposed to be alot better, aka DL discs. Can anyone post instructions how to flash it? or atleast confirm if the drive is actually liteon.

thanks!

Like editing the registry and formatting after midnight, I recommend against it unless you really have to.

If you don't really know how to flash and that's the drive you use all the time then I'd leave it and skip the possibility of DL burning. There is a chance it's true, that it could burn DL with a firmware cross-upgrade but it's probably better not to risk it.