email hosting privacy

Kryhe

I'm curious...with what has been going on in the news lately, do any of you have concerns about who is hosting your email? For example, I have a gmail account that I use primarily... Thinking about moving away from google and just using mail on a registered domain that I may create. Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm curious...with what has been going on in the news lately, do any of you have concerns about who is hosting your email? For example, I have a gmail account that I use primarily... Thinking about moving away from google and just using mail on a registered domain that I may create. Thoughts, suggestions?

I am not a lawyer. I am not your lawyer. The following is my understanding based on talks and articles by EFF representatives.

Unless you are running your own mail server on a machine that you personally own, it doesn't make a difference.

Your Fifth Amendment rights will only extend to your data that you have stored locally on machines that you own.

If you are using an email service like Google, they can be subpoenaed for your data.

If you are using an email service provided by your domain registrar or web host, they can be subpoenaed for your data.

If you are using an email server that you run on a rented VPS or dedicated private server, they can be subpoenaed for your data.

In order for your Fifth Amendment rights to come into play, the data must be stored locally on hardware that you personally own, not rent. The law may even require that you maintain physical custody of the machine. Eg, you wouldn't be able to install it in a data center where you rent rack space.

The issue currently being examined is whether or not people's Fourth Amendment rights have been violated. That is, unreasonable search and seizure of data resulting from over-broad warrants. Again, the only way you can be sure that the data on your box is not being searched or seized is to keep it on a system that you own and maintain physical custody of.

Even then, they government might subpoena your ISP for your traffic records, or even install a wiretap to watch your traffic. The only solution to that would be end-to-end cryptography which is designed for secure messaging over un-trusted networks. Things like OpenPGP or SSL.

Long before Prism existed, I always had concerns over using third party service providers, for storing any of my data.

If you are really concerned with your data or information, do not post or upload them.

Setup your cloud server from home and use it instead.