Sub-Fourm for payloads

mreidiv

New Sub forum for payloads like the pineappls has for modules  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants a new sub-forum for payloads like the pineappls has for modules

I think it would be great if we could have a sub-forum for payloads like the pineapple has for modules. It would make it easier on us all. Please vote.

Edited by mreidiv

I think the problem is that because the majority of payloads are malicious, the forum can't glorify them. Whilst this is a site about hacking, it is not a hacking site. While the USB-RD is a very valuable tool in anyone's SET, the standalone use can be seen as quite "script-kiddyish". The forum doesn't want to be seen just giving people black-hat and malicious scripts that can seriously affect people's privacy merely for personal gain. There's a thin line between "educational tool" and "aiding and abetting" which must be kept. A separate sub-forum specifically to post malicious scripts could be seen as the latter.

I think the problem is that because the majority of payloads are malicious, the forum can't glorify them. Whilst this is a site about hacking, it is not a hacking site. While the USB-RD is a very valuable tool in anyone's SET, the standalone use can be seen as quite "script-kiddyish". The forum doesn't want to be seen just giving people black-hat and malicious scripts that can seriously affect people's privacy merely for personal gain. There's a thin line between "educational tool" and "aiding and abetting" which must be kept. A separate sub-forum specifically to post malicious scripts could be seen as the latter.

Well i would agree with you position but they are posting them here in the forum what is the difference if we have a separate sub forum or on the github i just suggested a separate sub forum to make it cleaner like they did in the Jasager forum.

Edited by mreidiv

Github is separate to this site. It's not a part of the Hak5 franchise. The Pineapple/Jasager forums do not have sub-forums for payloads. In fact, this forum is the only one on these boards to have any kind of sub-forum.

Github is separate to this site. It's not a part of the Hak5 franchise. The Pineapple/Jasager forums do not have sub-forums for payloads. In fact, this forum is the only one on these boards to have any kind of sub-forum.

Please reference here. and you will understand what i mean by sub forum reference modules. I am not asking for evil payloads only that the ones that are posted here in the forums have a separate sub forum so we do not have to dig down and wads through other post to find a payload that in not or was not put on the github.

They're no Sub-forums. They're merely different forums. Sub-forums appear within the main forum, see Suggestions/Bug Reports in the USB-RD forum, where it says Sub-forums for reference.

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/forum/56-usb-rubber-ducky/

It's just as easy, if not easier just to search for "[Payload]" on the USB-RD forum to generate a list of payloads. Unfortunately, the laws of the internet won't allow us to perform a simple split. "One does not simply add a sub-forum to an established board". People would petition for further splits. We need a sub-sub forums for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Cross Platform payloads, even more for Black Hat, Grey Hat and White Hat. It opens up a Pandora's box which, for a support forum, doesn't need to be opened. Platforms such as Github allow for such deep nesting and genre-splitting, a forum can end up too messy.

This is all my opinion though; I've moderated on a few different forums in the past, but never here. The admin here may want to expand into a more all round "hacking site", but from the show over the last 8 years, I highly doubt it.

I understand what you are saying about "It opens up a Pandora's box" i have ran and designed several forums my self. But is pretty simple to add a sub forum.The only time consuming part may be finding the payloads and moving them. Searching for a payload is hit or miss not all of the payloads have a tag of "[Payload]" on them so you will miss all of the older ones. I believe they just implemented tagging not to long ago so unless some one when through and edited all the post you will not find them by searching "[Payload]" While i understand and respect your position i believe that this is not a big request and it the mods give me and answer of no i will respect that. Also if the mods want some one to search through all the post and move them i would gladly do so if given the permission. It does not hurt to ask. I wanted to see what other people thought that is why i created the poll. Thank you for your opinion.

Edited by mreidiv

I actually agree with you, it would be amazing to have everything segmented into handy pigeon holes. Usually, forums end up waging war on my OCD. The process of adding a sub-forum is very simple, but that's not what the phrase is about, it's about the fact that it sets a precedent. Should we have sub-forums for DuckyScript IDEs and Encoders and for Firmware. They are even more important than the scripts themselves. People can write their own scripts very easily with just notepad, a repository isn't overly helpful, it's just a time saver rather than writing out 10 lines of code. But then again, people for some reason will search for hours through a list of payloads to find a basic script that would have taken them less than a minute to type out from scratch. Utilities and Encoders are different because we don't expect everyone to compile their own encoders from scratch.