Something Is Seriously Wrong!

NegativeSpace

My sister wanted me to help her out wiht some stuff, and so I asked her to give me her ip address. I went to it, and I got the graphic you will see below. The image has an embeded link, which goes to the URL you will see in the picture. WTF?! The server identifies itself with an invalid certificate, by the way.

post-15507-0-70088500-1337282425_thumb.j

Edited by NegativeSpace

Have her go to ipchicken.com and double check the IP. Might have sent you the wrong address.

Usually, IIS is is something you would setup on Windows Server 2003/2008, but has to be manually setup. Its possible to do it on Windows XP, 7, etc, but not something you would find on most home users machines. If you are seeing that, might not be the correct IP. Investigate a little more, post back what you find.

Have her go to ipchicken.com and double check the IP. Might have sent you the wrong address.

Usually, IIS is is something you would setup on Windows Server 2003/2008, but has to be manually setup. Its possible to do it on Windows XP, 7, etc, but not something you would find on most home users machines. If you are seeing that, might not be the correct IP. Investigate a little more, post back what you find.

She did, in fact, misunderstand my instructions (not sure how) and gave me an incorrect ip address.

That question has been answered, but now I'm curious to know more about IIS (which is a good thing). I have no idea what IIS really does or why it's needed. Wiki says that it's server software that is included with Windows Server and some desktop MS OS's, but that's not enough info for me to understand what it does. Does this software just hand out files, which are intended to be accessed by public internet? If this software is intended to turn a piece of hardware into a web server, then why don't we simply use IIS as our webserver instead of having to use lots of other server software?

I'm so far behind on this stuff because, as a kid, I didn't have very much opportunity to use a computer. As a consequence of that, I am still waaaay behind in my understanding of networking technology. I've said before that the one and only way that my parents really failed me as a kid was never recognizing my obsessive interest in computer and networking science/theory. I never had one, so I had to learn by using the computers at a wealthy friends house or at the schools I went to. Elementary school had a single Tandy 2000 (which was beautiful), and high school had two computer labs, but we were only allowed to use those for official computer class business (A rule which I categorically disregarded).

Anyway, this is a long way off my original topic, better stop typing...

She did, in fact, misunderstand my instructions (not sure how) and gave me an incorrect ip address.

That question has been answered, but now I'm curious to know more about IIS (which is a good thing). I have no idea what IIS really does or why it's needed. Wiki says that it's server software that is included with Windows Server and some desktop MS OS's, but that's not enough info for me to understand what it does. Does this software just hand out files, which are intended to be accessed by public internet? If this software is intended to turn a piece of hardware into a web server, then why don't we simply use IIS as our webserver instead of having to use lots of other server software?

I'm so far behind on this stuff because, as a kid, I didn't have very much opportunity to use a computer. As a consequence of that, I am still waaaay behind in my understanding of networking technology. I've said before that the one and only way that my parents really failed me as a kid was never recognizing my obsessive interest in computer and networking science/theory. I never had one, so I had to learn by using the computers at a wealthy friends house or at the schools I went to. Elementary school had a single Tandy 2000 (which was beautiful), and high school had two computer labs, but we were only allowed to use those for official computer class business (A rule which I categorically disregarded).

Anyway, this is a long way off my original topic, better stop typing...

IIS is like Microsoft's Apache in the simplest way of explaining.

Yeah, IIS is "Internet Information Server" or services, basically you need it to deploy web sites on windows servers, if you want an all in house microsoft solution. Apache is open source, and runs on a variety of platforms, from linux to windows to mac, as where IIS, is strictly a windows thing. What you get on the server edition of windows vs normal desktop editons is also a lot different. On a windows server, it tends to be tied in with active directory and domains as well, so a compromise of an IIS machine, is usually a quick means of pivot into the rest of the internet lan and domain. Not that it couldn't happen on Linux with Apache, but less likely to be tied in with back office domain controllers and active directory.