Router Issues

thespiritbomber

My router is connected to my landlord's router, which is connected to the Internet. Mine is connected to his through a LAN port. I reset my router tonight and ever since then I've been having connection issues.

I've turned off DHCP on my router so that his router assigns IP addresses. This worked fine before I reset my router. Now, when I connect wirelessly to my router with one computer, other devices either can't connect at all or when they do connect my other computer loses Internet connection. Any ideas about what's going on here?

Do you have your router connected like a switch with your landlords router connected to one of the switched ports or do you have your landlords router connected to the internet port on your router?

If you are using the internet port then you need dhcp turned on. Unless you want to share files with your landlord this is how I would connect it. Otherwise if you are using a switched port then turning of dhcp is fine.

Do you have your router connected like a switch with your landlords router connected to one of the switched ports or do you have your landlords router connected to the internet port on your router?

If you are using the internet port then you need dhcp turned on. Unless you want to share files with your landlord this is how I would connect it. Otherwise if you are using a switched port then turning of dhcp is fine.

Cool, thanks for the reply. My landlord had our routers connected together with one of my LAN ports before but I just configured it like you said and it works fine. I gave my router a local IP of 192.168.2.1 and then set DHCP to give out IP addresses from 192.168.2.100~192.168.2.149. I connected my router to his through my WAN port and now it works great.

Thanks again!