Portable Bt5

Lnchbx3

16 GB should work fine. More would be better for updates and storage of logs and packet captures and other goodies you may want.

Pro:

Can take it with you easily and boot any computer with it.

Con:

You need to have a computer to boot it where you go.

Computer needs USB Boot ability enabled in BIOS

Thank you for the info Mr-Protocol. Any suggestion for creating a persistent usb installation. Im probably going to pick up a 64gb stick so that I can save word lists and such to it. I think I read somewhere that if I create it in windows (I believe using Linix Live) I wont be able to use the full usb stick. Also I checked out http://www.infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-5-bootable-usb-thumb-drive-with-full-disk-encryption/ and the instructions seem very long and difficult for someone like me just starting to learn Linux. This post http://www.infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-4-usbpersistent-changesnessus/ states it doesn't work with BT5. Any recommendations?

Mr-Protocol, thank you for your replies. I went to the BT tutorials as you suggested and used these http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Persistent_USB instructions on my 64gb usb drive, with a few minor changes to accommodate my install, and when I reboot my computer to the usb I get nothing but a black screen and a blinking underscore. No splash screen either. I let it sit there for 30 min and no difference. I've been searching google for hours and have been browsing the BT forums and can't find the answer to my problem.

The only changes I made were to the sdb. Mine happened to be sdc. The other change was to the primary sdc1 size which I made mine +160000M. And the balance of the stick was sdc2. The install went perfect as far as I could tell. No errors. I've tried twice and got the same results. Black screen with blinking underscore and no splash screen. I have no problems running BT5 from the live cd which is what I'm rsync ing to the usb as the tutorial suggests.

I don't want to use a windows installer because from what I understand i will not be able to use the full stick for storage. In my case 64gb. Nor do I want to encrypt the drive as you suggested.

Please help fix my black screen issue. Thank you.

Mr-Protocol, thank you for your replies. I went to the BT tutorials as you suggested and used these http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Persistent_USB instructions on my 64gb usb drive, with a few minor changes to accommodate my install, and when I reboot my computer to the usb I get nothing but a black screen and a blinking underscore. No splash screen either. I let it sit there for 30 min and no difference. I've been searching google for hours and have been browsing the BT forums and can't find the answer to my problem.

The only changes I made were to the sdb. Mine happened to be sdc. The other change was to the primary sdc1 size which I made mine +160000M. And the balance of the stick was sdc2. The install went perfect as far as I could tell. No errors. I've tried twice and got the same results. Black screen with blinking underscore and no splash screen. I have no problems running BT5 from the live cd which is what I'm rsync ing to the usb as the tutorial suggests.

I don't want to use a windows installer because from what I understand i will not be able to use the full stick for storage. In my case 64gb. Nor do I want to encrypt the drive as you suggested.

Please help fix my black screen issue. Thank you.

I have had that problem before with a hard drive install. Try a different USB Port. one that isn't a "Hub" on the laptop. For whatever reason on my old laptop, I had to remove all USB devices on boot so it wouldn't do that. Not sure of a real fix other than keep all USB on 1 specific port instead of the "Hub" ports on the other side. Or maybe none at all, it was a while back and can't remember.