Are There Any Teachers In The House?

NegativeSpace

Most broadcom chips, only work for connection to access points, and don't work well with injection. As for the realtek 8187 there seems to be a bug in VMware with this card because there were two versions of the card with different radio types/drivers see here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Rtl8187_vs_r8187

These are tested and working cards: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Drivers#Tested_and_working_cards

Edited by digip

I now have a sudo user, and I can use startx instead of sudo startx, bu tnow I have the problem of my desktop being a default ubuntu 10.04 desktop instead of the nice BackTrack one. I also get the message "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet" and am then asked if I want to delete the applet, and I chose no. If I delete teh applet will that fix the problem, or is there somethign else I will have to do to fix it?

If I log out and log back in as root, everything seems to be fine.

Ah, the joys of tracking down linux problems. DO NOT delete the file. Instead, when booting, login as your new users, but don't startx yet.

Type: "sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session" and Y to let it run. This will fix the error. The background however, is just a wallpaper, you can reapply that from the desktop by right clicking it and set background. Click the add and browse the file system. They are in /usr/share/wallpapers/backtrack/. As for theme, you can probably stick with what is there or if you like the backtrack one, click on the themes tab from the desktop wallpaper screen and select(I think) Dust. I think thats the one they use. To get the transparent background in the terminal, on the menu edit > profile prref > background and check the transparency slider.

Edited by digip

Most broadcom chips, only work for connection to access points, and don't work well with injection. As for the realtek 8187 there seems to be a bug in VMware with this card because there were two versions of the card with different radio types/drivers see here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Rtl8187_vs_r8187

These are tested and working cards: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Drivers#Tested_and_working_cards

I didn't think the Broadcom would work either, but I saw it working with airodump a couple days ago, I just can't remember hwo I got there. Maybe it won't do injection but it should at least go into monitor mode again if it did it before, right? The Realtek won't even go into monitor mode! I don't know what the hell is going on. I have no idea what to try.

Edited by NegativeSpace

Ah, the joys of tracking down linux problems. DO NOT delete the file. Instead, when booting, login as your new users, but don't startx yet.

Type: "sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session" and Y to let it run. This will fix the error. The background however, is just a wallpaper, you can reapply that from the desktop by right clicking it and set background. Click the add and browse the file system. They are in /usr/share/wallpapers/backtrack/. As for theme, you can probably stick with what is there or if you like the backtrack one, click on the themes tab from the desktop wallpaper screen and select(I think) Dust. I think thats the one they use. To get the transparent background in the terminal, on the menu edit > profile prref > background and check the transparency slider.

I still have not learned how to associate with the AP in the command line, so I can't download the package without starting x. That's another thing I haven't been able to find help with on the internet yet. I know it sounds crazy that the instructions aren't out there and easy to find but that's been the case for me so far.

So you are using only wireless then I can see where you might want to use the GUI for WICD but you shouldn't have to.

When logged on as the new user, plug in your card and enter dmesg | tail. Should see the card connected. Then issue "sudo ifconfig wlan1 down" if wlan1 is your wireless card ID for the realtek 8187. then issue "sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid routername" where routername is the SSID of your home router. You can then bring the card up and use "sudo dhclient wlan0". If you are using wpa, you need to create the wpa supplicant as well or this won't work without the wpa key.

"sudo wpa_passphrase myrouter mypassphrase > wpa.conf" from your home directory.

"sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/home/username/wpa.conf" and that will associate you with the AP.

Edited by digip

So you are using only wireless then I can see where you might want to use the GUI for WICD but you shouldn't have to.

When logged on as the new user, plug in your card and enter dmesg | tail. Should see the card connected. Then issue "sudo ifconfig wlan1 down" if wlan1 is your wireless card ID for the realtek 8187. then issue "sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid routername" where routername is the SSID of your home router. You can then bring the card up and use "sudo dhclient wlan0". If you are using wpa, you need to create the wpa supplicant as well or this won't work without the wpa key.

"sudo wpa_passphrase myrouter mypassphrase > wpa.conf" from your home directory.

"sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c.=/home/username/wpa.conf" and that will associate you with the AP.

This is what I've been needing! It's amazing that someone hasn't wirrten it down likle this somewhere already that is easy to find. I prefer not to use GUI at all, but I think it's going to be a while before I can do that in linux.

That last command seems to have some syntax errors. BASH "failed to read or parse configuration -c.=/home/sudouser/wpa.conf. I put a space between the "supplicant" and the "-Dwext", still no go. I tried to add spaces and fix other syntax errors that might or might not be actual errors. I'm basically guessing at those.

Also, if I sudo ifconfig wlan1 up and then dmesg | tail, I get a strange message that

udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to wlan1

udev: renamed netowork interface wlan1_rename to wlan0

What is that about? By the way, I know this is stuff that people are paid to teach so thanks for keeping up with my questions.

Edited by NegativeSpace

This is what I've been needing! It's amazing that someone hasn't wirrten it down likle this somewhere already that is easy to find. I prefer not to use GUI at all, but I think it's going to be a while before I can do that in linux.

That last command seems to have some syntax errors. BASH "failed to read or parse configuration -c.=/home/sudouser/wpa.conf. I put a space between the "supplicant" and the "-Dwext", still no go. I tried to add spaces and fix other syntax errors that might or might not be actual errors. I'm basically guessing at those.

Also, if I sudo ifconfig wlan1 up and then dmesg | tail, I get a strange message that

udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to wlan1

udev: renamed netowork interface wlan1_rename to wlan0

What is that about? By the way, I know this is stuff that people are paid to teach so thanks for keeping up with my questions.

Thats my bad, take out the .= sign in -c.=/home/sudouser/wpa.conf

Should be "-c/home/sudouser/wpa.conf"

I didn't think the Broadcom would work either, but I saw it working with airodump a couple days ago, I just can't remember hwo I got there. Maybe it won't do injection but it should at least go into monitor mode again if it did it before, right? The Realtek won't even go into monitor mode! I don't know what the hell is going on. I have no idea what to try.

Try "airmon-zc start wlan1" and it should create an interface for you called mon0, then do "airodump-ng mon0" and should see it channel hopping and some access points. When you see yours and what channel, stop (ctrl+c) and then restart but only on your AP's channel with "airodump-ng -c channelID mon0 -w dump" where channelID is the channel of your AP to listen on and dump is your pcap file to write to. From there you can launch attacks on the access point in another terminal, deauth associated clients to capture wpa handshake, etc, but I have doubts about the broadcoms effectiveness. Depends on the broadcom in use, but most don't work well for anything other than connecting via WICD or wpa_supplicant or manually configuring /etc/network/interfaces with static addresses and wpa info for ifup and ifdown commands.

Edited by digip

Thats my bad, take out the .= sign in -c.=/home/sudouser/wpa.conf

Should be "-c/home/sudouser/wpa.conf"

I got connected to the AP, according to "CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to (MAC Address of router) completed (auth) [id=0 id_str=]. The problem now is that I don't get a prompt after that so the only thing I can do is quit, which closes the connection, so I am unable to issue "sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session" to fix the problem with the defualt Ubuntu 10.04 desktop. If I Ctrl+c and then run "sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session" I get e: unable to fetch some archives. If I run "sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session --fix-missing" I get "Something wicked happened resolving '32.repository.backtrack-linux.org:http' No address associated with hostname. Fuck this is complicated! It's still great fun learning this stuff though.

Edited by NegativeSpace

I got connected to the AP, according to "CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to (MAC Address of router) completed (auth) [id=0 id_str=]. The problem now is that I don't get a prompt after that so the only thing I can do is quit, which closes the connection, so I am unable to issue "sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session" to fix the problem with the defualt Ubuntu 10.04 desktop.

This is great fun learning this stuff! I could never learn so much so fast with a book.

You can do one of two things, start it in the background by added & at the end of the command or try -B at the end of the command, or just use alt+f2 to open a new console and logon, then alt+f1 to go back to first screen if needed.

edit: btw, don't forget to do dhclient wlan1 or whatever your nic is.

Edited by digip

I'm not udnerstanding what VMWare has to do with the wifi card. To my knowledge I'm not using VMware, unless BackTrack defaults to using it silently for some things. I know I didn't install it intentionally.

Anyway, I'm still feeling like the issue is with me and not the hardware, since I had airodump working before with the same hardware. I want to fix the problem with the defualt ubnutu desktop before I figure out why I can't get airodump-ng working, but before I fix the desktop I have to figure out why I can't get sudo apt-get install sudo-applet-session to work.

I'm not udnerstanding what VMWare has to do with the wifi card. To my knowledge I'm not using VMware, unless BackTrack defaults to using it silently for some things. I know I didn't install it intentionally.

Anyway, I'm still feeling like the issue is with me and not the hardware, since I had airodump working before with the same hardware. I want to fix the problem with the defualt ubnutu desktop before I figure out why I can't get airodump-ng working, but before I fix the desktop I have to figure out why I can't get sudo apt-get install sudo-applet-session to work.

My bad, thought you were using it in a VM for some reason. Either way, seems to be issues with that 8187 card, it has two different drivers you can try with it to see what works best. Worst case, startx under the new user, ignore the error for now, then once in the gui, get yourself online via wicd, and then do the update and reboot and the error should go away. As for not being able to do the sudo command, what was the error? Was it a sudo error, or connection error for getting online. Remember, after doing the wpa supplicant part, you need to then get an IP from the router via "dhclient wlan1" or whatever the NIC id is. You can try the airodump/airmon stuff later once you get the basics down.

My bad, thought you were using it in a VM for some reason. Either way, seems to be issues with that 8187 card, it has two different drivers you can try with it to see what works best. Worst case, startx under the new user, ignore the error for now, then once in the gui, get yourself online via wicd, and then do the update and reboot and the error should go away. As for not being able to do the sudo command, what was the error? Was it a sudo error, or connection error for getting online. Remember, after doing the wpa supplicant part, you need to then get an IP from the router via "dhclient wlan1" or whatever the NIC id is. You can try the airodump/airmon stuff later once you get the basics down.

I plugged the Realtek into a Windows machine, and it came up as a RT8188S chipset, ang not an 8187. I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem or not. Either way, I'm not going to worry about trying to learn command line WPA cracking until I can at least assoicate with the AP from terminal.

As for fixing the issue of having a default Ubuntu desktop instead of a BackTrack one, I thought the fix of running sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session had to be done before starting the x server. I have just tried running the command frm the terminal after logging in as sudouser, and I get the same error as before which is "E: unable to fetch some archives, amyb erun apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?" Running sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session --fix-missing doesn't work. I logged out and logged back in, ran the command again and it fixed the error message, but I still have the default Ubuntu desktop. Changing the theme changes some of the desktop elements to BackTrack defaults, but the background is not right, there is a blue question mark in the place where the terminal button should be, and there are a whole bunch of other small things that don't seem right.

I can't remember exactly what happened when I tried to use the terminal to associate with the AP. I will have to try that again and report back. For now I would like to figure out why my sudouser desktop still has a lot of Ubuntu like elements still lurking around even after changing the theme to "Dust".

So I found this tutorial online that is supposed to explain how to create an unpriviliged user in BackTrack 5R2. This is a good example of how useless the tutorials seem to be. I haven't found the first online tutorial that actually works. I follow them, exactly, and I haven't found the first one that actually does what it is supposed to do. I understand that BackTrack is not intended to be a distro for anyone to use to learn Linux, but if I were the kind of person that let that kind of thing stop me I would have no business posting in a forum for hackers.

Anyway, here's the link to the tutorial that doesn't work for me.. There are many others that don't work just as well as this one doesn't work. I've gone over the commands and other instructions several times, and made sure I followed it exactly and there's always something that goes wrong. This is why I need a teacher.

The short cut for the terminal, can be added, just go to the menu and search for the terminal, right click it and add to desktop or add to toolbar or whtever the other option is. Either way, its only a shortcut, not so much a "backtrack" think, just the way they set Debian up. Its Debian based, shares some characteristics with uBuntu, but backtrack is not ubuntu and ubuntu is not backtrack. Backtrack is a customized, highly modified distro for specific tasks, mainly security and pentesting, and not everything that works under normal linux distros works the same way in backtrack. For example, installing native debian packages and programs, might have conflicts with the backtrack kernel and some hardware, as well as some software. If you want more user friendly, go with straight uBuntu or another dekstop linux distro, but for me, backtrack works. I have Opera and the latest version of Flash installed, so I can watch youtube and listen to grooveshark, so other than those two things, I don't worry about the rest of the bells and whistles or what normal desktop features it has or can do. Its not my main desktop, and to be honest, I rarely boot up my laptop anymore other than to mess with backtrack when I have to remember how to do something to answer someone's questions or if I want to learn something new, like reaver, which I haven't gotten to work properly. Windows 7 is my main OS, because its what pays the bill and how I earn my living doing web and graphic design, while backtrack, is more or less for fun/hobby when I can find the time to tinker.

The short cut for the terminal, can be added, just go to the menu and search for the terminal, right click it and add to desktop or add to toolbar or whtever the other option is. Either way, its only a shortcut, not so much a "backtrack" think, just the way they set Debian up. Its Debian based, shares some characteristics with uBuntu, but backtrack is not ubuntu and ubuntu is not backtrack. Backtrack is a customized, highly modified distro for specific tasks, mainly security and pentesting, and not everything that works under normal linux distros works the same way in backtrack. For example, installing native debian packages and programs, might have conflicts with the backtrack kernel and some hardware, as well as some software. If you want more user friendly, go with straight uBuntu or another dekstop linux distro, but for me, backtrack works. I have Opera and the latest version of Flash installed, so I can watch youtube and listen to grooveshark, so other than those two things, I don't worry about the rest of the bells and whistles or what normal desktop features it has or can do. Its not my main desktop, and to be honest, I rarely boot up my laptop anymore other than to mess with backtrack when I have to remember how to do something to answer someone's questions or if I want to learn something new, like reaver, which I haven't gotten to work properly. Windows 7 is my main OS, because its what pays the bill and how I earn my living doing web and graphic design, while backtrack, is more or less for fun/hobby when I can find the time to tinker.

I'm not so worried about having normal desktop functions or user friendly stuff as much as I am just learning everything I can. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix everything on the sudo desktop to the way it looks as the default root user. I'm trying to remember how I got the Windows key to open a terminal!

When I get that stuff done, I'll try to capture a WPA handshake and crack it, but I'm going to use another machien that has a chipset that matches exactly to one on the list of known working chipsets. I hope to get some help with that, but hopefully I won't run into a problem for every single command like I have on my netbook with the stupidass broadcom chip.