Using A Laptop Battery As A Battery Pack For Mark 4?

g4hsean

Hello once again,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer the question of whether or not it would be possible to use a 11.1 volt 4300 mAh old laptop battery as a means to power the mark 4 pineapple? I know max specs for mark 4 (as read on the charger that comes with mark 4) is 12 volts 1 amp. I have never really fiddled with laptop batteries before and i really don't want to fry the pineapple so any information on this would be appreciated.

Sean

Hello once again,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer the question of whether or not it would be possible to use a 11.1 volt 4300 mAh old laptop battery as a means to power the mark 4 pineapple? I know max specs for mark 4 (as read on the charger that comes with mark 4) is 12 volts 1 amp. I have never really fiddled with laptop batteries before and i really don't want to fry the pineapple so any information on this would be appreciated.

Sean

there is a report on these forums of somone thinking they fried there pineapple mark 4 with just over 12 volts so I would caution going over 12 volts, 11.1 is under the threshold and as long as it does not spike you should be safe.

electronics only use as much amperage they need having more available is not bad.

there is a report on these forums of somone thinking they fried there pineapple mark 4 with just over 12 volts so I would caution going over 12 volts, 11.1 is under the threshold and as long as it does not spike you should be safe.

electronics only use as much amperage they need having more available is not bad.

Ok, well ill test it and see if it works.

I found a drill battery that puts out 12 volts at 1.7 Ah, my guess is anything over 1 Ah I shouldn't touch in the 12 volt range right? Sorry for the dumb questions i have fried too many devices in my day even with researching and following information.

Sean

Ok, well ill test it and see if it works.

I found a drill battery that puts out 12 volts at 1.7 Ah, my guess is anything over 1 Ah I shouldn't touch in the 12 volt range right? Sorry for the dumb questions i have fried too many devices in my day even with researching and following information.

Sean

sorry I can't remeber what Ah means again, amp hour?

theres voltage and amperage voltage is specific to device and amperage is it's max output.

about the drill battery I would be carefull a little close for comfort, I would want to make sure there is a voltage regulator included as well, without that a battery could vary it's voltage

again that person that fried there pineapple reported I belive .4 over 12V so 12.4V. Diferent types of batterys without some kind of regulator can def go over .4 volts.

your looking for something 5 to 12 volts. I use a series of 2700mah rechargable 1.2 volt aa batteries at the moment and when fully charged output just over 11 volts.

Edited by petertfm

sorry I can't remeber what Ah means again, amp hour?

theres voltage and amperage voltage is specific to device and amperage is it's max output.

about the drill battery I would be carefull a little close for comfort, I would want to make sure there is a voltage regulator included as well, without that a battery could vary it's voltage

again that person that fried there pineapple reported I belive .4 over 12V so 12.4V. Diferent types of batterys without some kind of regulator can def go over .4 volts.

your looking for something 5 to 12 volts. I use a series of 2700mah rechargable 1.2 volt aa batteries at the moment and when fully charged output just over 11 volts.

Yeah i figured there was not much tolerance on the device passed 12 volts. Well i guess there is good news for my drill battery, since it is an older battery it only outputs about 8 volts continuous instead of the 12 volts i was looking at on the sticker. I will test with that to see how long it can last hooked up to the mark 4 and ill post back with my results. As for other battery sources, I am currently running a dual usb battery pack with 6000 mAh. Its been running fine so far though its not without drawbacks; for it to work i must connect my phone to it since it seems that the battery pack communicates through usb to see if whatever it is charging is fully charged or not. So i need to find a way to trick battery pack to constantly output voltage.

If none of this suites my needs, I might just go down the street and pick up a 9 volt mini UPS to power it, I heard someone on these forums has had good results running the mark4 for about 9 hours continuous.

Sean

Well, Happy to report that instead of using a laptop battery, Drill battery or even a dual usb battery pack I have now picked myself up a really cheap 6 volt 12 Ah (12000 mAh) (battery number: UB6120p Universal battery) which runs all my power hungry usb devices. It costed only about 20 US to purchase so its really worth it.

Some of you may ask yourself why i didn't go with the 12 volt version instead. Well the reason for that is because on the actual battery it states standby use is between 12 volts and 14.3 volts and slightly higher for the cycle use voltage range specifications. Since i heard someone possibly fried their mark 4 using a battery outputting just 12.45 volts i did not want to take that risk so in the end the 6 volt 12 Ah battery should do the trick.

I will be posting back to this thread to update anyone interested in knowing the life of the battery as it runs the mark 4 under no load (no load = only running wifi pineapple with karma, wifi, dnspoof with no clients.). I will then post run time specs of the battery under heavy load (heavy load = all services running (including downloadable modules), as many wifi connections as i can, Usb power hungry devices (sadly no 3g/4g dongles since i dont own one).

Well, Hope you guys find it useful for if you want to run the mark 4 from battery.

Sean

Well some really good news for those people who want a long term solution for running the mark 4 on battery. So far the pineapple has been up without a quirk on battery for the past 30 hours straight and it seems like it could potentially last another 2-3 days. Checked voltage at the beginning which showed 6.38 volts and now after 30 hours of operation it went down to 6.12 volts.

With this information i guess its safe to say that anyone looking for a day long or even multi day long solution to running the pineapple in any location would surely benefit with the battery i am running (battery info mentioned in above post).

I will keep everyone posted on when the battery dies so like that you guys can have an ideal if this battery's life would suite the needs you may have in any given pentest.

Sean

Well some really good news for those people who want a long term solution for running the mark 4 on battery. So far the pineapple has been up without a quirk on battery for the past 30 hours straight and it seems like it could potentially last another 2-3 days. Checked voltage at the beginning which showed 6.38 volts and now after 30 hours of operation it went down to 6.12 volts.

With this information i guess its safe to say that anyone looking for a day long or even multi day long solution to running the pineapple in any location would surely benefit with the battery i am running (battery info mentioned in above post).

I will keep everyone posted on when the battery dies so like that you guys can have an ideal if this battery's life would suite the needs you may have in any given pentest.

Sean

this is awesome;-)

this is awesome;-)

Yup it is considering the pineapple is still running on battery and can last at least another day or so if not longer. Right now its down to about 5.8 volts so the pineapple should die sometime during the night tomorrow.