Is There H.o.p.e. For Me?

hanshot1st

As int0x80 expressed is there something that you feel may limit you? what do you already know? and what do you hope to learn? One of the best things about going to the hacker cons is the talks amongst many of the other goings on. Is there a specific field of interest you have within pen testing (i.e. wireless exploitation, permission escalation, ect)? You may find that sitting in on a talk would be very beneficial for you. On the other hand if your one who just wants to learn many aspects or are not sure yet, you may find it beneficial being around like minded people who can give you a few pointers. The biggest thing about a con is that its a social event, show what you know and want to learn and you will find many who will help you lean what you want to know.

What is your field of interest?

What skills or experience do you currently have?

As someone in their pen-testing/hacking infancy is there really anything for me at H.O.P.E.? Really interested in going, but need some honest opinions of whether or not it's even worth my time as a hackling. =\

I would say that there is something for everyone at HOPE, whether you're an expert or a noob you'll meet cool, passionate people and learn something new. I've brought hacklings to HOPE and they've enjoyed it enough to return. There is a good mix of old an young crowds at HOPE. You get some guys who were phreakers in the 80s as well as guys who are working on the latest web exploits.

What is your field of interest?

What skills or experience do you currently have?

Minimal knowledge/skills at hacking/pen-testing at the moment. Starting out is so ominous because everybody has a different idea of where to start out. Currently reading a "How Networks Work" book, Hacking for Dummies (to learn terminology, etc.), and a book on Backtrack 5 by someone who appears reputable. Also, picked up all last year's issues of 2600 and subscribed. I threw a new HDD & DVD/CD drive into an old gaming tower & hoping to use that as my "guinea pig" for experimenting in a safe non-harmful way. Any pointers, books, places to look, etc. Would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. As a sidenote, i took programming in high school (12 years ago). Learned on ANCIENT stuff though (basic, pascal, & got my feet wet briefly in C++). So, i have SOME concept of how programming works.