I Need Help With Corporate Vpn Connection

NegativeSpace

I've never even attempted to connect to a VPN before. I've never had a reason, but now I want to learn. I have credentials, and I'm using standard W7 VPN client. I don't know any of the protocols being used on the network. I guess what I want to know, are, some basics. I want to know which protocols are most likely being used, so that I can figure out how to connect. I've tried a few times, but my credentials will not be validated (error 601). I can ping the public IP of the network. I am not sure what to do next.

If you don't know what the VPN settings/configuration of your company are, they only way to find out is asking your IT department. They will usually have a documentation or procedure in place on how to install the VPN client.

If you don't know what the VPN settings/configuration of your company are, they only way to find out is asking your IT department. They will usually have a documentation or procedure in place on how to install the VPN client.

I was afraid of that. I'm helping someone else who is even less informed than I am. The local IT people have no idea which protocols/settings are being used.

I was afraid of that. I'm helping someone else who is even less informed than I am. The local IT people have no idea which protocols/settings are being used.

Another thing you could do is, find someone who's already got their VPN client set up and working and then looking at what settings he/she has got, and then trying matching them on your computer.

Having said that, you will also need to find out, if their computer has any security certificate installed, to determine that you will need to do the following:

1) Run, type -> MMC

2) File, Add/Remove Snap-INS

3) From the Add/Remove Snap-INS window, select certificates and click on the Add button.

4) In the Certificates Snap-IN window, select My user account and click finish

5) Select Certificates from the left column and click on the Add button again, and this time select Computer Account, click next, finish and OK.

6) Expand both the Certificates - Current users and Certificates - Local Computer.

7) And check inside the personal folders, for any certificates.

Let me know, how you go!

I find it pretty hard to believe the IT department doesn't know what VPN they are using. Protocol isn't the issue if you are using the correct client for the specific VPN service. ie: built in windows VPN vs, cicso, vs OpenVPN, etc. Find out what VPN service they are using first, protocol will just need to be based on the VPN service in use. Some will require specific clients to the VPN, others, a matter of turning on different services in windows and creating a new vpn connection.