Install Backtrack On Macbook Pro

niels

Hey everybody,

recently I bought a new MBP. Now with my old MBP I was thinking to install Backtrack.

But so far no success, I must use an usb flash drive because my superdrive (cd reader) is broken and I'm not able to fix it.

I install rEFit but it won't boot the usb. And I'm sure the usb is working I tested it on a other pc.

Is there someone out there who has experience with installing an other os on a MBP, using a flash drive ?

If someone can help me with some information would be very much appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance,

Niels

The other thought it get a usb DVD drive, and boot off of it. Make sure the bios allows booting from usb, and set the boot order to usb(or other external media), then cd, then hdd.

Make sure you have the disk correctly formatted. I might be able to walk you through the steps but I am not sure it has been a while...

Open up the hard drive utility and go to the flash drive.

Reformat it macosx journaled and make sure ithe options are set to GUID map.

Then try installing backtrack on the USB again, make sure it works for Mac so try unetbootin if they have software for Mac.

Then go and restart your computer while holding down the options key. This will bring up a menu of bootable devices on that are recognized on the machine. Since you have installed refit you might have a different step here but I can't remember how it works exactly.

It should boot after that point, let me know if you need any more help I did the same thing at one point on my Mac but I got rid of it.

Make sure you have the disk correctly formatted. I might be able to walk you through the steps but I am not sure it has been a while...

Open up the hard drive utility and go to the flash drive.

Reformat it macosx journaled and make sure ithe options are set to GUID map.

Then try installing backtrack on the USB again, make sure it works for Mac so try unetbootin if they have software for Mac.

Then go and restart your computer while holding down the options key. This will bring up a menu of bootable devices on that are recognized on the machine. Since you have installed refit you might have a different step here but I can't remember how it works exactly.

It should boot after that point, let me know if you need any more help I did the same thing at one point on my Mac but I got rid of it.

I'm trying to follow your advise but I can't use unetbootin to install the iso on the usb drive as long as it is formatted in Mac os journaled. It must be FAT32.

I managed to boot from the usb drive once, choose text mode of BT5 then it got stuck and the mac froze, after that I wasn't able to boot from the drive again.

Any more advise ?

I managed to boot from the usb drive once, choose text mode of BT5 then it got stuck and the mac froze, after that I wasn't able to boot from the drive again.

If you were able to boot from the USB then I would guess that the problem is your computer isn't supported for backtrack, however I am not sure. This is just a shot in the dark but maybe try fat32 on a GUID map, might work. Im sorry I don't have my Mac anymore and I am just trying to recall what I did.

If you were able to boot from the USB then I would guess that the problem is your computer isn't supported for backtrack, however I am not sure. This is just a shot in the dark but maybe try fat32 on a GUID map, might work. Im sorry I don't have my Mac anymore and I am just trying to recall what I did.

No problem I'm glad I'm getting any response, I finally got the usb from booting again.

But the MBP got frozen again. So I started again, in safe mode this time took a picture hoping someone could help me with the output :

IMG_0089.JPG

Hoping someone can translate :)

Make sure your USB drive is big enough; the BT5 iso > 4GB, iirc. Then make a partition on the USB drive of type 0x0b, format it FAT32, and use Unetbootin. If you're still encountering problems, post back with a specific step-by-step list of everything you did, and always google as you encounter issues along the way.

People seem to run BT5 natively on their MBP without issue, according to the backtrack forums http://goo.gl/DSiOj

Make sure your USB drive is big enough; the BT5 iso > 4GB, iirc. Then make a partition on the USB drive of type 0x0b, format it FAT32, and use Unetbootin. If you're still encountering problems, post back with a specific step-by-step list of everything you did, and always google as you encounter issues along the way.

People seem to run BT5 natively on their MBP without issue, according to the backtrack forums http://goo.gl/DSiOj

Thanks for the response, I'm using a 8gb usb drive so size isn't the problem. I found a way to run the live usb.

I must add nomodeset to the kernel command line and it works fine.

I finally got Backtrack installed on the hard drive of the mac but now it won't boot.

I tried the solutions with nomodeset I used above but no luck.

This time i got this error anybody a clue ?

IMG_0091.JPG

Edited by niels

There are a good amount of google results for that message. Does the system always hang there every time? Have you tried modifying any parameters in GRUB?

I would probably take this to the backtrack forums at this point, tbh.

There are a good amount of google results for that message. Does the system always hang there every time? Have you tried modifying any parameters in GRUB?

I would probably take this to the backtrack forums at this point, tbh.

Could you tell me what you're using to search in google ? Yes, it always hangs there every time , although it seem in recovery mode it gets a little bit further in the boot process.

I didn't try modifying any parameters in GRUB because I couldn't find amy decent information about my problem, probably not using the right search techniques :).

I already took it to the backtrack forum but I can't get a thread to be posted, and I don't know why, the admin don't approve my thread to be posted I think.

So I'm glad that I'm getting any response from the Hak5 forum :)

Could you tell me what you're using to search in google ?

oom_adj is deprecated

In my limited experience, a consistently flaky install is quite often indicative of either bad install media (USB drive) or bad target media (RAM or HDD). What have you done thus far to test your hardware?

oom_adj is deprecated

In my limited experience, a consistently flaky install is quite often indicative of either bad install media (USB drive) or bad target media (RAM or HDD). What have you done thus far to test your hardware?

Nothing so far to test the hardware but, I installed Mac os x 3 times the last day on the MBP so I don't think it's a hardware failure of the MBP.

The usb drive I'm using formatted it installed the live BT5 on it with no problem at all. It ran the live BT5 without any errors.

So it's seems strange to me that it's a hardware failure, I'm now downloading the BT5 R1 using a direct link will check the MD5 hash and then try to reinstall BT5 on the MBP.

I tried using the BT5 release but I got a boot error so .... wish me luck on my next try :)

EDIT: Finished the direct download, checked the MD5 hash, installed the iso on a different usb, installed BT5 R1 Gnome 64 again.

=> same problem trying hangs on the udev thing I mentioned above :s

btw I can find anything useful using ' oom_adj is deprecated' in google but I will search a little bit deeper :)

Edited by niels

• 5 months later...

Another option is holding down I believe the option key when booting that should allow you to pick your boot media. I actually erased my entire hard drive and installed Backtrack 5 on it. And now if I want to boot up OSX I have to load it from an external drive. LOL I like backtrack, and MAC. I installed backtrack on a hard drive using another laptop. I did a full install on a 32bit Aspire one acer Replacing it's default with an external terrabyte drive. Not difficult to do. (piece of crap) took out the hard drive of my MBP and replaced it with my terrabyte drive. However, I couldn't install directly to my MBP, I had to install on a non-mac system then transfer that hard drive to the MBP. Oh, and when you did your reFit, you used bootcamp right.? Well anyways this is an option since it's an OLD MBP and if you don't care about your hard drive.