Dsniff- All But One Command Is Working Correctly

pjsjr627

Hello,

So recently, i decided to experiment with dsniff and driftnet after Darren's episode covering them. I am using the following system to experiment:

-Virtual Box 4.0.10

-VM of Ubuntu 11.04

-bridged network connection between VM and physical hardware

-Virtual Box installed on a physical Windows 7 64bit machine.

I begin by enabling packet forwarding, then my two arpspoof commands in separate tabs.

With this done, I can run urlsnarf, mailsnarf, msgsnarf, and driftnet without issue. The traffic from the "attacked" machine is correctly displayed in all scenarios. I run into an issue when i try to issue a "dsniff -i eth0" command. I get the following:

root@jacob-Ubuntu:/home/jacob# dsniff -i eth0

dsniff: listening on eth0

-----------------

07/14/11 21:33:20 udp laptop01.local.63902 -> 10.10.0.30.161 (snmp)

[version 1]

public

-----------------

07/14/11 21:33:25 udp laptop01.local.63902 -> 10.10.0.30.161 (snmp)

[version 1]

public

Leptop01 is the machine I am sniffing.

Unlike in the episode, it will never show the url/un/pw that is flowing over the connection. I used Darren's example and tried logging into one of my ftp sites (so I know it is clear text) and I don't see the data listed. without doing anything, it will just keep populating those same

07/14/11 21:33:25 udp laptop01.local.63902 -> 10.10.0.30.161 (snmp)

[version 1]

public

over and over again until i stop it.

I have tried to research this extensively by watching videos and reading everything I can find on the topic and have not been able to solve it. The only suspicion I have is I found someone with a similar problem and it was caused by vmware he was running, or so he says. When he switched to running ubuntu on a physical machine as the base OS, the problems went away, but correlation does not equal causation! Any pointers of areas I can research or try to solve this?

Thanks so much in advance!

Don't know if this will make a difference, but have you tried using the latest version of Vmware.

Edit: Also make sure you set your VM interface to bridged mode as well.

Edited by Infiltrator

Don't know if this will make a difference, but have you tried using the latest version of Vmware.

Edit: Also make sure you set your VM interface to bridged mode as well.

Thanks, I am using the latest version of virtual box. Should I try VMware instead? I have an ubuntu install on my ESX box I can try it on.

Thanks, I am using the latest version of virtual box. Should I try VMware instead? I have an ubuntu install on my ESX box I can try it on.

I've never used Virtualbox before, but you could try out VMware and see if that works, make sure you set your VM interface to bridged mode.