Jump to content

Adsl Speed Boosting


buffy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Little back ground on me.

I have worked in IT support for more time than I care to remember, and have now also worked for 4/5 ISP's. I still learnt a whole **** load today.

I moved house and put through a simultaneous PSTN/ADSL request. All went well engineer turned up as planned tested the phone, and I tested the broadband. Phone worked ADSL worked however it was a little slower than expected. So I went off and did the usual. Starting with testing from the master socket, and then removing the ring wire, retesting etc. I also remembered I had a BT "iplate" that I got free from a friendly BT engineer when working at another company, but decided not to mess with it as I found it made the signal worse than my SSFP at my old house. I decide to check to see if the DMT Tool worked with my new router.

::. Kitz - DMT tool v7 - Speedtouch routers .::

Yes V7 did, I have the Netgear dg834v4 :D

So I started to play again here are the results, I would say they were amazing:

before.png

Ok as you can see in this graph there are loads of gaps. What this means is that at that frequency no data/bits cant be transmitted. This is normally caused by interference on the line, this can be external to your house in my case internal.

only2n5.png

I have now been round to every extension socket in the house including the master NT5 socket and remove all wires connected except 2 and 5. 2 and 5 are all you need for ADSL and PSTN. As you cans see the graph is looking more even, the gaps have diminished.

after.png

I decided there was still interference so I tried again from the master socket, with the NTE5 plate removed. This ment that all extensions in the house were disconnected only I was connected. I should add at this point during the testing there were no other devices connected at any point, no phones, no sky boxes not burglar alarms. Now that is some massive improvement. This showed clearly something in the house was causing feed back down the extensions. So I thought what the hell might as well try the iplate. After retest with the extensions reconnected it works a charm, I have the same signal strength as with the extensions disconnected.

I will now need to wait a few days for the BRAS to remap automatic or force a remap form the office.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the name of that program you are using to measure your speed strength?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its called the DMT Tool, and there is a link at the top of the post to the website.

No problems, thanks for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you give it ago let us know how you get on :D

That only issue I found was that, the software only seem compatible with SpeedTouch routers.

I have a netcomm NB6 ADSL2+ Modem/router.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was connecting using a boardcom chipset neargear router. DG834v4 (v1,2,3,5 dont work with DMT)

Yes support for routers is limited, but if you can SSH into your router you can run the commands from the DMT interface and generate teh graphs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was connecting using a boardcom chipset neargear router. DG834v4 (v1,2,3,5 dont work with DMT)

Yes support for routers is limited, but if you can SSH into your router you can run the commands from the DMT interface and generate teh graphs.

The router i have is really crap, that's why I bought a linksysByCisco WAG320N modem/router.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...