How Secure Is Lmi File Sharing

syko24

Logmein Pro has a feature that allows you to share file(s) by sending a secure link to the file through email. I know that the connection that LMI uses is secure, but how secure is the method of emailing a link to the file? Can't someone just sniff the link that is emailed to you? This would give them direct access to your "secure link".

I guess this question also relates to when you need to reset your password for an online account and they email you a link to reset your password.

Appreciate any feedback.

Chris

The question is how secure is your email system, does it offer a secure link between you and the server? I mean does it use HTTPS to encrypt the traffic between you and the mail server.

If it does then it would be a bit hard for someone to sniff your traffic and capture the secure link. Now if you are concerned about being hacked, you could limit the time window by 1 or 2 hour(s).

Or alternatively use SSH or VPN.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks for your reply. So assuming I am using either Outlook to connect to Exchange or an Https connection with say Gmail I should be pretty secure.

Does all packet sniffing typically happen on the lan or can it happen while in transit over the internet?

Chris

Thanks for your reply. So assuming I am using either Outlook to connect to Exchange or an Https connection with say Gmail I should be pretty secure.

Does all packet sniffing typically happen on the lan or can it happen while in transit over the internet?

Chris

Generally speaking packet sniffing can occur anywhere, if you are using your own home network chances would be very slim for someone to sniff your LAN traffic, simply because the attacker needs to be connected physically to your LAN in order to see the traffic in your lan.

In addition, hostile networks such as internet cafe and airport hotspot are always a target, so avoid using it for transmitting confidential or personal information, if you have to use VPN or SSH, this methods are a lot more secure and safer to use.

Now on the internet side, its possible but very difficult for someone to sniff your internet traffic, again the attacker will need to be physically connected to your ISP network which rarely happens.

If you are concerned about being sniffed, use SSH or VPN to encrypt your messages and traffic, beware that only the traffic between you and the server will be encrypted, any traffic that leaves the server side will be unencrypted and the message/data potentially exposed to attacks.

One way to protect the message/data itself would be to encrypt it. But that's paranoia if you ask me. And things like that doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Infiltrator