Rc4 Encryption

hacker07

Well this is kind of a stupid question. But what are your guys opinion on the RC4 Encryption algorithm? It was used in WEP but it was implemented very poorly. I want to look at this as a basic building block to study encryption algorithms so I can write my own some day. Any opinions?

Definitely examine RC4 if you are wanting to learn about encryption as it is simple enough to get your head round. I wrote a tutorial about it a long time ago which might be useful to help understand how the algorithm works.

I doubt that anything that one person who isn't already a massive name in the crypto industry could come up with would shake the crypto world.

I think its possible. The odds are extremely low but it's possible I would assume. Anyways you into cryptography?

What if you wrote a key scheduling algorithm that made RC4 Nearly unbreakable. How do you think it would effect cryptography?

These things aren't easy to create, but you do learn a lot from trying. Write a few and then try to break them when you find you can't break it stop and go read up on more about them and then try again. The chance of creating something secure without a lot of knowledge/ experience of the area are very slim, but the chance of learning things by trying is very high.

These things aren't easy to create, but you do learn a lot from trying. Write a few and then try to break them when you find you can't break it stop and go read up on more about them and then try again. The chance of creating something secure without a lot of knowledge/ experience of the area are very slim, but the chance of learning things by trying is very high.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been messing around with the RC4 Encryption algorithm. Maybe you can review my code sometime and if I can break it maybe you can.

I think its possible. The odds are extremely low but it's possible I would assume. Anyways you into cryptography?

as I said, I doubt it but it may happen.

I'm not into crypto, did maths at first year degree level and crypto is interesting but not enough time to learn about it properly