Deleting Files Permanently

Infiltrator

Going along with the above post I've heard of DBAN outright destroying SSD performance when ran. So if you are using an SSD don't use DBAN.

I use bleach bit on both linux and windows, for windows I have a USB stick with some portable tools, bleach bit is one of the tools I always have on there (get the portable version here http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/bleachbit_portable) together with Eraser (also portable edition).

When I'm feeling paranoid I also run the Diskcleaner and Wise Registry cleaner portable tools although I have no proof that it removes things that bleach bit could have forgotten, sometimes it is better to be safe then sorry ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

For SSDs, I would recommend just using full 'disk' encryption (SSDs aren't disk shaped, lol) with truecrypt with pre-boot auth. That way the data is irrecoverable while the machine is off and/or the drive is unmounted. For my regular disks, I use CCleaner and the following shutdown script instead of the shutdown menu item:

:: This script kills all browser processes by image name and runs
:: CCleaner, then shuts the computer down
TASKKILL /IM chrome.exe /IM firefox.exe /IM iexplore.exe
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO /SHUTDOWN
[/CODE]

Note that this script must be run with admin privileges in order to kill the processes. Also, you may need to modify it for your install location of CCleaner. Make sure to configure CCleaner to do '1 pass wipe' for secure deletion. Any more than that has been shown to be excessive (http://www.howtogeek.com/115573/htg-explains-why-you-only-have-to-wipe-a-disk-once-to-erase-it/).