Booting Ubuntu Server 10.04 X64 From Multipass

Charles

Hi,

I was able to get it to boot by placing everything in the root directory of the thumb drive.

I ideally want to have everything in it's own folder so I can keep the clutter to a minimum, but if I move the files and edit the kernel string to point to where the files are, it fails to mount the "cdrom."

It works perfectly fine if I leave all the files in the root.

Here's the menu.lst entry for it:

title Ubuntu Server x64 (Working)
kernel=/install/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed
initrd=/install/initrd.gz
boot

I've tried moving the files to /lucidserver/ and editing the menu.lst entry. It boots but fails after trying to mount the cd.

Here's the menu.lst code for that one:

title Ubuntu Server x64 (Testing)
kernel=/lucidserver/install/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed
initrd=/lucidserver/install/initrd.gz
boot

Any help is appreciated. I can just leave everything in the root, but I really want it to be a bit more organized.

The trouble is when you place every thing in another directory, when the fs is mounted every thing is in the wrong place.

One way you could a work around would be to make / a squashfs (or similar) file that is mounted then make /home the partition that is actually on the memory stick. Doing this will work, but you won't beable to install any new software without recreating the squashfs file, you will be able to save stuff to /home though.

Basically I just want to install server from my multiboot USB instead of using another usb key.

I'm probably just going to throw everything into / and leave it as is, since that appears to work.

Thanks for the info. :)

Thanks. That looks like it would be a bit of a pain in the ass, since from what I can tell, the ubuntu server install needs:

/.disk

/dists

/install

/pool

/preseed

.disk was created by using the Startup Disk Creator on Ubuntu Desktop as far as I know, it wasn't listed in the iso.

• 1 month later...

@Charles

Your method here does work. I used your code below to boot the ubuntu server installer:

title Ubuntu Server x86 (Testing)
kernel=/ubuntu-10.04.1-server-i386/install/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed
initrd=/ubuntu-10.04.1-server-i386/install/initrd.gz
boot

just extract the iso's and put the folders in the root.

it should look like this

/

/menu.lst

/ubuntu-10.04.1-server-i386/

ive tested both x86 and x64.

Edited by Phil K.

Were you able to install at as well? I keep running into the "cannot mount cdrom" error that I had in the OP.

It boots, but won't install, even if I mount the thumb drive to /cdrom/ manually.

Well the problem in most iso problems in the grub is you use spaces in the iso name try using no spaces like ubuntuserver.iso

Well the problem in most iso problems in the grub is you use spaces in the iso name try using no spaces like ubuntuserver.iso

The ISO is extracted. :)

The lame part is that I can boot off an Ubuntu Desktop 10.04.1 x86 and x64 iso and install with no problems. Server seems to give me hell with "unable to mount cdrom"