Make A Aprs Gps Tracker

John C

When i watched 6x08 a few months back i really wanted to build one, but couldnt find the right info on how to go about it, i happen to come across this link and looks like it dose the same thing as in the video.

i was wondering if anyone could walk thought it with me and brake it down so i no all the parts i need to get and how i put it together and get the software on it.

im not completely in the dark about working out what i need but this will be my first pcb board and i want to make sure i get all the right parts.

thanks.

When i watched 6x08 a few months back i really wanted to build one, but couldnt find the right info on how to go about it, i happen to come across this link and looks like it dose the same thing as in the video.

i was wondering if anyone could walk thought it with me and brake it down so i no all the parts i need to get and how i put it together and get the software on it.

im not completely in the dark about working out what i need but this will be my first pcb board and i want to make sure i get all the right parts.

thanks.

The most important bit here is that 16f628a micro. You will also need some method to program it. In my case I already possess a Microchip "PICstart plus", as I've done some hardware dev. You'll need something either to build, or to have someone program that micro for you. Might I suggest using a socket to containt the micro as well?

As for parts, it seemed most of the stuff is easily available from mouser, digi, spark, mcm, newark, jameco, et al.

One other thing folks just starting out often miss: A box! You need some sort of enclosure.

• 2 months later...

Another alternative would be to go and check out the OpenTracker+ from Argent Data Systems. You can buy it as a kit, a smd version that has the whole thing in a 24 pin DIP, or just get yourself the parts and the PIC and flash your own. And the code is open source so you can tweak it as you like! They have firmware versions where you can make a weather station or a TNC ( Terminal Node Controller), which is just a fancy name for a modem in HAM radio.

-Chris

Edited by AC2AM