Got My Wifi Pineapple Ii, It Is Setup, Now Questions About Jasager

I got my Pineapple setup. It took a bit of work because I was having DHCP and DNS issues, but I can issue a wget on the pineapple and that succeeds (ping isn't good enough because previously I could ping but not wget). I also have a test virtual wireless lan through openwrt that I am able to connect to from a different machine too ensure routing is really working properly.

The first thing I notice is Jasager responds "Ja, hier bin ich!" when my victim machine is looking for a wireless lan. But more specifically it responds, Ja, hier bin ich! But I am also unsecured so you don't need any key to get in.

1) It seems that the a way to defeat jasager would be to code the wireless manager so it only auto connects to a wireless lan where all the settings match, basically don't rely on SSID alone. Is this correct?

I am testing all of this at home with my normal router right there. In my wireless manager on my victim machine, I actually see my home router listed twice, the secured network, and the unsecured jasager network. I couldn't get my victim machine to connect to the unsecured network. It ended up reconnecting to the secured network.

2) Is that the correct behavior? Basically you can't run an attack by spoofing a router when it is in reach? Or in other words, you will only be able to trick vicitims into connecting to their home router away from home (or work router away from work...)

I really wanted my victim to connect to the unsecured network so I went into my home router, appended a 2 on the SSID and told it not to broadcast the SSID. I then refreshed the networks and I see the unsecured jasager network spoofing my home SSID but I couldn't connect because Windows Vista stated something along the lines of "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"

3) So it seems #1 is already being done. Am I missing something?

4) Does the pineapple II (bought from the hak5 store) support power over ethernet?

5) Is the pineapple really needed? Can't you just run the same setup right from your machine with backtrack? I have the pineapple connected via ethernet to my laptop which bridges the laptops wireless connection with the ethernet connection. It seems like if I left the pineapple in a remote location and connected to a virtual wireless network on it it would probably drop packets like crazy, too much traffic, but is that suppose to be the idea that you can just set the pineapple up in a remote location and monitor it remotely?

1,2,3 Depends on the wireless supplicant. Some wifi clients will only connect when the target encryption system matches the one they expect others will negotiate down to the lowest common denominator - no encryption. What Jasager is mainly targetting is users who have connected to unencrypted hotspots, coffee shop wifi, hotels, airports etc which have no encryption in the first place so Jasager is fine

4 No

5 No, Look at Karma which Jasager is based on and then at Karmetasploit which is also based on Karma.

1,2,3 Depends on the wireless supplicant. Some wifi clients will only connect when the target encryption system matches the one they expect others will negotiate down to the lowest common denominator - no encryption. What Jasager is mainly targetting is users who have connected to unencrypted hotspots, coffee shop wifi, hotels, airports etc which have no encryption in the first place so Jasager is fine

4 No

5 No, Look at Karma which Jasager is based on and then at Karmetasploit which is also based on Karma.

I learned a new word http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplicant_%28computer%29

Thanks for the response (and the great work putting together jasager and interceptor).

I understand the target audience for this device now, that clears things up.