Overclocking

H247

hi all.... i was wondering does anyone know about overclocking cpu's? and if so..... how much can i overclock my Hp Pavilion a1730n? i currently have a Atlon 64 X2 5000+ prosessor overclocked to 4000Mhz+ but for some reason it only goes that high if needed to.... i benchmark over and over and raised the Clockgen higher and higher but i still cant get it to past 2612.2MHZ.... a few times i open up Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop CS4 at the same time and it jumped up to 4818.2MHZ for a quick second then back down.... i dont want to raise it any higher because i have no cpu seal but i did mod a different fan into my computer (i will have to shrink my pics to upload them here) and it idles at:

CPU: 41*C

CPU Core #1: 36*C

CPU Core #2: 35*C

Motherboard: 40*C

Harddrive 1(SATA drive 320GB): 41*C

Harddrive 2 (IDE drive 150GB): 37*C

I also modded 2 fans to the side of my computer panel that blows air directly on the Motherboard... Pics soon

Edited by H247

It's working correctly. Modern CPUs are made to underclock themselves when they aren't under load. It saves power and wear and tear on the CPU.

If you didn't add any thermal paste to the heat sink, you are probably going to fry the CPU, since it won't be able to conduct heat away from the CPU very efficiently.

Edited by Charles

It's working correctly. Modern CPUs are made to underclock themselves when they aren't under load. It saves power and wear and tear on the CPU.

If you didn't add any thermal paste to the heat sink, you are probably going to fry the CPU, since it won't be able to conduct heat away from the CPU very efficiently.

yea i really need to get some terminal paste.... my uncle has some but its just for him to find it :( ... but thanks for they reply... guess i cant go any higher until i get it :(

If you have standard cooling, such as a simple CPU fan I wouldn't really recommend OCing at all, or that much if you do it.

You don't want to stress the CPU and fry it, especially thaty ou don't have the thermal paste.

You can buy some from NewEgg for probably around $10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-007-_-Product

well i will have to upgrade my motherboard... its an Asus board but its own by HP so they blocked everything. i mananged to overclock my CPU at 8% and it runs great @ 61*C full trottle.... my onboard video is overclocked 30% also... my motherboard temp never exceeds 41*C so i guess ill keep these settings for now