Triple Boot Problem

ParMan

I'm trying to triple boot my laptop with windows xp sp3, ubuntu 9.10, backtrack 4 final. windows was originally on the laptop. i first installed Ubuntu with out any problems. until i installed backtrack 4. then the ubuntu file could not be found when at boot menu. so i uninstalled and deleted the partition and recreated it and reinstalled ubuntu. it booted up a couple times fine, but now it just has a _ blinking on the top left corner of the screen. i know this does this when windows is loading though I'm still pretty new with Linux. not sure what i should do since it has been blinking like that for a good 10 minutes now. windows and backtrack are still working fine. Should i try to reinstall it again or does anyone have any idea?

Edited by ParMan

I had a -semi- problem with that too, when I installed 9.10 - which uses GRUB2, and then BT4. It was replaced with BT4 which uses GRUB 1.5.

You might be able to get around it by installing BT4 first then Ubuntu, that way you wouldn't have to screw with GRUB.

I was able to load recovery mode when i canceled out of that it gave me the command prompt allowing me to log in and start the x server. after i attempted to load ubuntu and it worked fine so far but i will look into your solutions.

I'm trying to triple boot my laptop with windows xp sp3, ubuntu 9.10, backtrack 4 final. windows was originally on the laptop. i first installed Ubuntu with out any problems. until i installed backtrack 4. then the ubuntu file could not be found when at boot menu. so i uninstalled and deleted the partition and recreated it and reinstalled ubuntu. it booted up a couple times fine, but now it just has a _ blinking on the top left corner of the screen. i know this does this when windows is loading though I'm still pretty new with Linux. not sure what i should do since it has been blinking like that for a good 10 minutes now. windows and backtrack are still working fine. Should i try to reinstall it again or does anyone have any idea?

Ubuntu and Backtrack dont go well together when dual booting or watever.... best thing to do is create a persistent usb drive for BT4 only an u can boot from the usb and run it with no problem.... i had the same problem u had so now im running BT4 from usb... persistent changes means u can save ur changes on ur usb drive just as a normal hard-drive..... and big file u may need can be saved on ur hard-drive.... here is how i did it (my usb drive is 4 GB) >>>> http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4beta-h...-4-changes.html

also u can just do virtualization and run ur other OS in VirtualBox so instead of restarting to use another OS u can just load it up in ur main OS.... mine is Ubuntu and everything else is Virtual "Food For Taught"

Edited by H247

That's strange. I installed WinXP, Backtrack 4 Final, and Ubuntu 9.10 on my new netbook and everything booted up fine. Windows > BT4 > Ubuntu

I also was able to triple Boot W7, BT4 and Ubuntu 9.10. Installation order > Windows > Ubuntu > BT4.

The partition scheme I used (I think) was sda1 (XP), sda6 (BT4) sda7 (swap) sda8 (Ubuntu). I had to do manual partitioning ofc.

EDIT: I think i pretty much restated what was in my previous post. Posting after you first wake up = bad..

Edited by Charles

Posting after you first wake up = bad..

hmmm... watever works for u then fine..... Virtual is a better way to go anyway but i guess everyone has different reasons and some would wanna dual an triple boot.... i have done it before an i did'nt think it made sense that i had to restart every-time i wanna use another OS..... i was just trying to help an i guess it was'nt needed

It all depends on what you want to accomplish, and if your machine can handle running Multiple VMs.

I would probably run a copy of BT4 in a VM if I had a wireless card that would work with it (which I do, but since the internal card works fine, I just dual boot, since I don't use BT4 all that often.)

I think it has to do with the order that you install them to your OS. i have them installed as Windows XP ubuntu, bt4 in that order and they have worked fine for over a week now. i did not take the virtual route since im still pretty new to it. and would rather not mess with it atm.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish, and if your machine can handle running Multiple VMs.

I would probably run a copy of BT4 in a VM if I had a wireless card that would work with it (which I do, but since the internal card works fine, I just dual boot, since I don't use BT4 all that often.)

your right about that..... i dont use BT4 often either that y i run it as a usb drive.... i wanted a quick way to get rid of it when im done doing stuff and leave no traces back to me :)

I think it has to do with the order that you install them to your OS. i have them installed as Windows XP ubuntu, bt4 in that order and they have worked fine for over a week now. i did not take the virtual route since im still pretty new to it. and would rather not mess with it atm.

understandable.... well there are allot that can be done with dual and tripple booting and everyone started somewhere.... just keep in mind what u want to use BT4 for and do some research (seriously) :)

Glad to hear that you got it working, ParMan.

Good idea if you don't use it often, booting off USB would make sense in that case.

yeah i boot from usb with a lot of things but i want to start getting into backtrack more and it can be annoying carrying around keys.

but i too am glad that its fixed. and its all backed up so i can just recover from that if anything goes wrong. but i think the problem was with the grub from the ubuntu and the bt4 i dont think the ubuntu grub like bt4 very much.