College help please?

n00bp0w3r

Hello all, this is my first post on here but been watching hak5 for 2-3 seasons.. well here is my question type thing i need help on lol.

So im 16, about to turn 17 in a few months, im getting my ged in april, so that means im looking for colleges for the fall. Ive looked at a few around where i live, which is southern Illinois area. So "Devry university" is not to far from where i live (dont want to move to far away just in case, if i can help it) but the bad thing is, I have heard ... well read that their degrees/certifications are jokes, like that some company's dont accept them, which i dont want to spend 2-4 years doing nothing.. Are all those things just rumors or something? Could someone clear that up for me?

Here is something i need help one also, i cant figurer out what i need/want to take, my counselors dont know anything about computers/IT so they cant help me at all, and im confused about the names of the types of classes i should take.

Ill try and narrow down what i want to take and learn, well to the best i can lol.

1. Type of database management/networking

2. I guess you would say "tech support" but i dont know how to explain, fixing computers for a business/large company?

3. Repairs/building computers

4. Security/firewall/protection, I guess thats what it is? lol

5. Programing (not sure what lang yet)

So is Devry university good, or should i go to a different computer college? If you could help me with the class thing too i would be really grateful. Are there better colleges to go to then devry, that wont cost an arm and a leg?

Sorry for any grammar or spelling errors, remember im still young :b

Thanks for any reply's

Edit: I hope this is in the right area to post too lol

It would get yer foot in the door if nothing else. I ended up having to go to a tech college, since I didn't have the "experience" to land a job in the IT field. Which sucked pretty badly, considering I've been messing with computers for like the last 10 years.

Anyhow: If you are serious, go for the 4 year degree in CS and a different school. I'd do that, but I'm still trying to pay off loans from when I got my Associates in a unrelated field. Heh.

NOOOOO!!!!!! AVOID THAT PLACE LIKE A PLAGUE!!!

haha.. I made the same mistake going to a unaccredited school and wasted 25,000$ and 2 years of my time.

When I went to get my 4 year degree guess what? The university did not accept my credits from that generic school that i hate so much, so I have to do 2 years of college over again. Those kind of schools are a joke, the only reason I signed up is because I was like you and got my GED and they were the first school to accept me and give me a student loan, when I probuly could have gotten free money for college using a pell grant to begin with. Now I am stuck paying back a student loan for this rip off fake "technical" college, and they were atleast 5 times more expensive.

tech credits were I think around 250$ per a creidt at the fake college?

and the real community college with real credits was only like 60$ a credit.. big difference, plus at the community college their are way more hotter girls, more people, fun events, all kinds of stuff, PLEASE do not waste your time. I have tried to sue my old school because the guy lied and told me I could transfer my credits to a university later just so he could get his sales commission for me. NO, NO, NO, AND NOOOOO dont make the same mistake I did, just goto a real accredited college.

Now I am stuck paying back a student loan for this rip off fake "technical" college, and they were atleast 5 times more expensive.

Well i do have grants and stuff to get into school, so im not worried about the money thing, well that much.

and the real community college with real credits was only like 60$ a credit.. big difference, plus at the community college their are way more hotter girls, more people, fun events, all kinds of stuff, PLEASE do not waste your time. I have tried to sue my old school because the guy lied and told me I could transfer my credits to a university later just so he could get his sales commission for me. NO, NO, NO, AND NOOOOO dont make the same mistake I did, just goto a real accredited college.

What do you mean a "real accredited college".. There is a college in my town, but its mostly arts and stuff, im not fully understanding what your are saying, does that mean there is a better "tech" college.. or all the shit?

All of those tech colleges are shit.

You can only transfer credits within their school systems, and not to REAL State, Government accredited and approved colleges. (Such as your local community college or state university such as California State University, or University of Florida, or New York University, or any of them.)

DO NOT waste your money and time at a tech college. I learned the hard way, just because it is a little closer to your house does not make it worth it. All of those colleges are complete rip offs and scams, they also ussually have those generic tech schools always have those stupid commercials too, the REAL accredited, good colleges do not have to advertise.

Unless you're loaded with cash or able to get some really good financial benefits from the government i'd avoid Devry. I'm able to take 12 - 15 credits for the price it would take to get like 6 through devry. Sure they provide "hands on training" but they are ripping you off majorly! If you do want to goto a school like that though, I would see about getting your gen ed type classes out of the way through a cheaper school like your local college. Just make sure they are accredited so your classes will transfer.

why not SIU? that's in your neck of the woods.

Well its in my town... lol. I just didnt want to spend more of my life here, 2 years here is ehh...

Do you know if they have any good computer class's or anything?

Sorry for the lat reply tho..

@GeekGoneCrazy

How do i know if they will transfer?

@GeekGoneCrazy

How do i know if they will transfer?

The best way is to contact the school you ultimately want to goto and ask them if the credits will transfer from your local college. But generally a lot of your classes like english I & II, PE, Spanish, history, biology, chemistry, speech, econ, art, ect are going to transfer. You go into taking computer classes at your local college and you're gonna start running into transfer problems.

But best way make a couple of calls. For me taking my gen ed classes from a smaller school was better. The classes aren't as huge and the teachers are a little nicer. Not to mention a whooole lot cheaper.!