new here..making a multipass

~JC~

hey guys, saw the video and thought this might help in my endeavors. im not really all the knowledgable but all my friends seem to think im the computer genius cuz i always fix there junk. lol. figure some of these tools like trinity might come in handy. anyways, just a couple questions about this.

1)do i need seperate partitions on it if i intend to use the drive to store files also,

2)where is the best place for working menu.lst files

thanks.

JC

ok. the verbatim drive came with a program installed that partitions a protected sector. if that doesnt work, ill try and make a true crypt vault. i assume ill have to use parted magic or something before truecrpypt though...ill just read some more! lol

thanks C

no U3...

just for insight, ill use this thread as my learning expericance...for the record, im trying to install

ophcrack

trinity

konboot (is there a 64 bit version?)

ubuntu 9.04

avira recovery

back track4

thats all for now...

maybe as a newb i can offer a different perspective if other newbies read this thread.

ok i got bt4 ann konboot on the drive so far.

heres the menu.lst

color blue/black
timeout 120

title BackTrack 4 BETA
root (hd,0)
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz
boot 

title Kon-Boot
map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

i ran it with usb test in VMware, and i get to a screen that says "searching host1" and the drive flashes, but nothing happens. dont really know what you guys would need to know to help me.

I'm guessing that's why running Kon-Boot. You'd need to have another OS on the drive for it to work.

i was under the assumption you didnt need a OS on the virtual machine to test your multikey..

here for reference to what i was following

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...9&hl=vmware

also i deleted konboot and tried it with just bt4 adn it still didnt work, im gonna try it with the pc instead of the vm and see what happens

still doesnt work. all the stuff im reading says i should have a bt4 folder, and i dont have that. i just have boot...which i renamed to bootbt4, and 2 other files and a folder. boot.catalog, md5sum.txt and the folder is casper.

menu.lst is pointing to the correct directories..so im not getting whats going on.

edit

ok i found the grub problem..i used the wrong grub file. so now i get it to the grub screen, and when i try to run bt4 i get

error 23: error while parsing number

and i have to back out.

ideas?

That's so strange. Have you tried a different stick?

no, but i reformatted this one. and its brand new. i bought it because my other two...disapeered...

im reformatting it again, and im gonna start over, im manually setting the sector size to the smallest availble instead of default. also doing a full format instead of quick..well see if that helps. and yes im doing fat32 (8gb verbatim drive)

ok progress...i didnt realize there was another .lst file in the grub folder. i went in and changed all the boot references to bootbt4

NOW, it starts... i get to a command prompt that says root@-bh...(or something like that...thats close)

a ls command, just shows me install.sh

if i run install.sh it gives me error- "can not start allin1.sh: no such file or directory"

onwardbound

lol

thanks alot for the help Charles...im learnin alot as we go.

here is my menu.lst file so far

color blue/black
timeout 120

title BackTrack 4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz
boot

and here is the bootbt4>grub>menu code

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

splashimage=/bootbt4/grub/bt4.xpm.gz
foreground e3e3e3
background 303030

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd                /bootbt4/initrd.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x314
initrd                /bootbt4/initrd800.gz

title                Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317
initrd                /bootbt4/initrdfr.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper xforcevesa rw quiet 

title                Start Persistent Live CD
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet 

title                Start BackTrack in Text Mode
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw quiet

title                Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
kernel                /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper toram nopersistent rw quiet 

title                Memory Test
kernel                /bootbt4/memtest86+.bin

title                Boot the First Hard Disk
root                (hd0)
chainloader +1

you guys are gonna laugh at this stupid azz question..

i had to modify ophcrack.cfg so it would point to the corect folder. so i changed it to txt, open with c++ and now i cant get it to change back to .cfg. its a .cfg.txt file...how do i make it just a .cfg?

i guess search is my friend huh? lol

man all i wanted to do was put ophcrack in its own file on the drive and its a major pita! you have to change like 35 files names in just the md5 and you have to mod the ophcrack.cfg file.