USB Port For FON2201

First off.... Hello all.

I just acquired a FON2201 router and have not been able to use any of the tricks to downgrade the firmware or get SSH or RedBoot access with the device so I find myself having to create/purchase some sort of adapter/cable. All the tutorials that I have seen either put a Serial port on the FON itself or they use an old Keyocera(sp?) usb adapter.

I was wondering if there was some tutorial or schematic of an adapter that could be made/purchased that would put a USB-B port on the FON that would give me access to the console.

P.S. Sorry if i sound like a noob, I am rather new tot his stuff.

Not that I know of, the interface you have on the Fon is serial, not USB

Would it be possible to use something like this and make a usb->serial ??

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/breakout-boa...-to-ser232.html

I used the above to connect my laptop to my atari 800xl computer...

edit: also the nice part is that its small and it may fit in the fon case...

Would it be possible to use something like this and make a usb->serial ??

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/breakout-boa...-to-ser232.html

I used the above to connect my laptop to my atari 800xl computer...

edit: also the nice part is that its small and it may fit in the fon case...

Yes, but there's really no point in devoting a USB->Serial adapter per FON. If you still are serious about doing it, make sure you get a TTL capable USB->Serial adapter, as this is what the FON uses.

I might suggest getting a DKU-5 cable off of ebay (the old Nokia cellphone data cable) instead of ponying up the dough for a MAX232 based solution. The cable off ebay should cost under $5 shipped. You'll have to hack it accordingly (determining which wire is Rx and Tx, etc. and converting it to your beloved USB B spec).

Anyways, if you're interested in these types of solutions, look into the DIY stuff for the NSLU2. Lots of people put serial adaptors on those and they require the same TTL shift FON's do.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the input.

After a few hours of research on the topic I found a couple solutions to get USB console access on my FON 2201.

The first one would be to purchase an RS232/MAX232 to TTL adapter like this one.

Secondly (apparently) you could purchase the components and create your own Serial to TTL adapter as shown here.

With the two above options you would have to purchase a Serial to USB cable that run around 35 bucks at any local radio shack/bb or >10 dollars online.

The third option I found was to purchase a USB-B to ttl converter like this one, although I am not 100% positive that this would word due to the fact that I could find no reports of using one of these with a fon.

If anyone could give me any conformation if the third option would indeed work in a FON2201 it would be greatly appreciated because I believe that this will the the route I will most likely take in my journey to get console access via USB on my FON2201.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input.

After a few hours of research on the topic I found a couple solutions to get USB console access on my FON 2201.

The first one would be to purchase an RS232/MAX232 to TTL adapter like this one.

Secondly (apparently) you could purchase the components and create your own Serial to TTL adapter as shown here.

With the two above options you would have to purchase a Serial to USB cable that run around 35 bucks at any local radio shack/bb or >10 dollars online.

The third option I found was to purchase a USB-B to ttl converter like this one, although I am not 100% positive that this would word due to the fact that I could find no reports of using one of these with a fon.

If anyone could give me any conformation if the third option would indeed work in a FON2201 it would be greatly appreciated because I believe that this will the the route I will most likely take in my journey to get console access via USB on my FON2201.

Thanks!

Looks like that would work. Are you sure you want to spend ~$20 per Fon?