Wi-Fi on Augen Ego Netbook

rissapoo09

i just got my augen ego netbook for christmas and i cant get the wi-fi set up it said i should press fn and f2 at the same time which i have done and then i went to the network icon and went to wireless information and clicked connect AND NOTHING IS WORKING!! i go to my internet and it says page cannot be displayed. like iim just very frustrated i took it to office depot and the man there couldnt even help me iim like wth! and the website doesnt help you either! then i did my ipconfig to obtain my ip address which i got but my netbook still shoes the X's where the little computers are at at the bottom right side of my netbook. like i just dont know what to do i got tht so it can hold me out cause iiM leavin for college in jan and ii just needed that til after i get my refund check i buy a bigger laptop and this isnt working!!! please help

Do you have a wireless access point?

:lol: Yeah, a wireless router would help. Have you tried using a wired connection with it to see if you can get online at least?

When you get the wireless icon on the systray, click it and bring up the window to scan for wireless networks(click refresh wireless networks). If none show up, then you can't connect using wireless, obviously.

It should look something like this: https://www.kordiametrowifi.com/images/xp_2.jpg

(Does this thing even run windows? I thought they were linux based, and if they were, ipconfig would be ifconfig) Is this windows CE?

I found the manual for your netbook. Looks like it is very limited in what it can do as well, like not able to install apps or even flash for web video: http://digip.info/Egousermanual_final.pdf I uploaded a copy to my site.

edit: link fixed. Not sure waht was up with that.

i just got my augen ego netbook for christmas and i cant get the wi-fi set up it said i should press fn and f2 at the same time which i have done and then i went to the network icon and went to wireless information and clicked connect AND NOTHING IS WORKING!! i go to my internet and it says page cannot be displayed. like iim just very frustrated i took it to office depot and the man there couldnt even help me iim like wth! and the website doesnt help you either! then i did my ipconfig to obtain my ip address which i got but my netbook still shoes the X's where the little computers are at at the bottom right side of my netbook. like i just dont know what to do i got tht so it can hold me out cause iiM leavin for college in jan and ii just needed that til after i get my refund check i buy a bigger laptop and this isnt working!!! please help

you need to go into your wireless setup by double clicking on the icon, tell it the SSID of your wireless network and make sure that the settings on your wireless network (i.e. Mac address filtering, etc) are allowing your device to connect, if your network only has WPA/WPA2 and alike you need to press F1 when starting( it will ask for password press enter about 4 times) and have it connect to the internet(wired) at start up for it to update your capabilities it will allow to do a little more with the wireless. out of the box it only allows WEP connections without encryption but once you do the above it will allow you to connect to encrypted/secure networks.

First hit Fn+F2 to turn on wireless.

Next click on the Wi-fi icon in the system tray to configure the access point information, if it requires a WEP key or does not broadcast the SSID. Set up the wi-fi as required.

Note: the Augen e-go has a modified Win CE 5 package in it, it won't let you install programs as that has been disabled.

The Pocket IE 6 Browser uses Flash Lite 3.1, it is like Flash 7, without compression support. So in order to play Flash games, they MUST be decompressed. Same goes for video streaming, the stream CANNOT be compressed.

You will have to wait for special versions of Smartphone programs to appear that will work with this version of CE 5. Programs cannot modify the registry, cannot use stream compression. There's another limit, which I am trying to find out - it's causing some Windows CE programs to not run, citing a type of "Cannot find program (or one of its resources)" error.

Working programs I moved in so far:

Total Commander

Intelliart MidiPlayer

Intelliart ModPlayer

pdosbox 0.63

TCPMP (a media player)

Tested, but not installed:

WakeApp

Failed:

PocketColeco

Pocket Hack Master

• 4 weeks later...

My friend got this computer for christmas. she is very un computer saavy, I mean, she did not know how to turn off the computer properly. I was able to help her set the time and date, but the one thing she wanted to do was connect to the internet and that we could not do.

MY big question, is does she need to get an ISP before she can use the wireless feature installed on the netbook?? She says she does not, but I am at a loss on how one can do one thing without having the other. If she can please explaian how that works to my stupid brain.

I was able to download the manual as someone mentioned, and we could do a little, but it is not the best to understand.

thanks

My friend got this computer for christmas. she is very un computer saavy, I mean, she did not know how to turn off the computer properly. I was able to help her set the time and date, but the one thing she wanted to do was connect to the internet and that we could not do.

MY big question, is does she need to get an ISP before she can use the wireless feature installed on the netbook?? She says she does not, but I am at a loss on how one can do one thing without having the other. If she can please explaian how that works to my stupid brain.

I was able to download the manual as someone mentioned, and we could do a little, but it is not the best to understand.

thanks

She can literally use the wireless adapter in the laptop yes. She can connect to wireless networks such as the free ones.

However, an ISP of some nature is necessary unless she intends to steal some one else's or just use 'free wifi'. Using 'free wifi' as your only internet connection is such a terrible idea it's only considered an option because it will literally connect you to the internet.

Perhaps she is confused because the laptop has a 3G (or similar) modem built in and the laptop is on a contract.

She can literally use the wireless adapter in the laptop yes. She can connect to wireless networks such as the free ones.

However, an ISP of some nature is necessary unless she intends to steal some one else's or just use 'free wifi'. Using 'free wifi' as your only internet connection is such a terrible idea it's only considered an option because it will literally connect you to the internet.

Perhaps she is confused because the laptop has a 3G (or similar) modem built in and the laptop is on a contract.

I am trying to wrap my brain around it all. I have no idea about her modem and she would not even know what I was talking about. Her son got it for her probably because something said it was able to connect to internet w/o anything. Maybe, but not sure if that was why.

But another question, wise one, IF she does get an ISP of her own, how will it help her??

I ask this because, we live in one state, so okay it works at the house, but she often travels to another part of the state in the summer and also travels to Florida a few weeks a year. So if she has a provider here, how will that help her in other places?? Won't she still be "stealing" someone else's service?? Or is there some provider she can get that would be able to "travel" with her??

when I try to tell her she needs something, else, she always says "no" she wanted , and this has it, something, so she does not have to do anything more than just turn on the machine and "go to town" on it.

I really want to help her, but not being very techo minded, I am not a lot of help when I do not understand it either.

So any help you can give me to help her would be helpful!!!

thanks

i

If it's capable of 3G, she should be able to get "wireless internet" via 3G that would be accessible wherever there is cell coverage.

This is the first Netbook I've seen that is running Windows CE. Most are either WinXP or 7. That surprised me.