is this possible

ParMan

i was wondering if it was possible if you had a home server to access it from another computer on a different network securely. (example say my laptop is on wifi and im at work it has the same sub-net but its a different network. could i access my server to get files off of it?

i was wondering if it was possible if you had a home server to access it from another computer on a different network securely. (example say my laptop is on wifi and im at work it has the same sub-net but its a different network. could i access my server to get files off of it?

Sure, I VPN into my home-network. All that's required is the following in your server.conf on the vpn server:

push "route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0

192.168.254.0 is my home LAN network. I can access all computers on my home network this way.

My VPN gives me a 10.x.x.x ip address. Now, what won't work is if your work network and home network are on the same subnet.

Sure, I VPN into my home-network. All that's required is the following in your server.conf on the vpn server:

push "route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0

192.168.254.0 is my home LAN network. I can access all computers on my home network this way.

My VPN gives me a 10.x.x.x ip address. Now, what won't work is if your work network and home network are on the same subnet.

That's why I use the 172 subnet for the vpn network. Almost nobody uses that one.

That's why I use the 172 subnet for the vpn network. Almost nobody uses that one.

So, what's your home network ID, the remote network ID and what addresses are given to the VPN server and client when the tunnel is created. When it's all connected, what address do you use to access the remote network resources?

I'm following Darren's suggestions with XP and W2K3 so there is no server.conf file as recommended by beakmyn.

So, what's your home network ID, the remote network ID and what addresses are given to the VPN server and client when the tunnel is created. When it's all connected, what address do you use to access the remote network resources?

I'm following Darren's suggestions with XP and W2K3 so there is no server.conf file as recommended by beakmyn.

Beakmyn and I are both using a linux firewall distro for out vpn server. Actually he might be using bsd, I can't remember. Look up openvpn, it's the easiest vpn server I've ever found for setting up and getting to work. They make client applications for every operating system I've needed to set up, well except for windows mobile...

My home wired network is in the 192 range, the vpn network is in the 172.20 range and the wireless network is in the 10 range. When you connect to the vpn you'll have a 172.20.x.x ip address. You'll be able to brows the 192.168.x.x and the 10.x.x.x ranges. I'm also pushing the gateway address of my firewall, so everything goes through the vpn once connected.

Beakmyn and I are both using a linux firewall distro for out vpn server. Actually he might be using bsd, I can't remember. Look up openvpn, it's the easiest vpn server I've ever found for setting up and getting to work. They make client applications for every operating system I've needed to set up, well except for windows mobile...

Yep, right now I'm using Pfsense which is a BSD distro before that it was smoothwall which has a nice VPN interface.

...and there is an OPENVPN client for Windows Mobile.

http://ovpnppc.ziggurat29.com/ovpnppc-main.htm

I use it on my Axim, it works.

Yep, right now I'm using Pfsense which is a BSD distro before that it was smoothwall which has a nice VPN interface.

...and there is an OPENVPN client for Windows Mobile.

http://ovpnppc.ziggurat29.com/ovpnppc-main.htm

I use it on my Axim, it works.

It does really neat things to my tilt. The one time I tried it, it hard reset my phone.