Average day in the office? - Security guys

jkoho

I've been doing something thinking... (uh-oh)

When I was in high school I was fascinated with any job that involved computers. After studying in high school and working so hard for the school to pay for my A+ cert (hey, I thought it was a big deal...) I thought I was golden! I landed a Tech Support job my Junior year of high school and also worked weekends at the school re-imaging computers or whatever needed to be done. I was very excited and told all of my friends how I would be fixing computers all day and taking apart this, installing that, blah blah. It took me 2 weeks to realize how much I hate tech support, no offense to those of you in the field. It just wasn't my cup of tea. This made me wonder...

What is an average day in the office for you security professionals? What does it consist of? What is your work schedule like?

I'm interested to see the difference between the career side and the hobby side.

IT jobs can be really great or really bad. If you get stuck just answering questions on a phone or on a help desk then things tend to get pretty boring (There are only so many times that you can tell a user to restart their machine before you loose your sanity). On the other hand if you get to work in a variety of areas then it can be really rewarding. I would suggest avoiding going for jobs in a help desk/ tech support positions in a large organisation's I.T. department and try to aim for the smaller support jobs in individual departments as you will find that the job is usually more varied if there are only a few of you in the team.

On to your actual question though, my days are very varied but there is usually a lot of programming and system administration involved as well as some tech support.

• 2 weeks later...

I will agree w/ above post. Working in a large corp, you do not have alot of say in whats going on. In the smaller environments you have more of a chance to deal with issues head on. Around here a typical day 100 - 200 phone calls from customers that are asking normal questions my computer is broke how do i fix and stuff related.

I've had good jobs and bad jobs regarding Tech Support. What it comes down to is the culture developed in your office. If your attitude and thought process meld well, you can find your job fun, challenging, or at the very least that it doesn't suck the life out of you on a daily basis. On the other hand, you can end up in an environment that eats a bite of your soul everyday regardless of whether the actual work done should be exciting or not.