ajax

iv been hearing alot about ajax lately and i just have one question, seeing as ajax allows you to communicate to a server through the use pf a proxy, does this mean it can then update context on the page in real time, and make the changes visible with out the user having to refresh the page, which would mean you could write something like a chat program with ajax and not have to refresh the page to see any messages. Would this be possible with ajax or should i just stick to the other langauges i know to achive the same result?

sweet, i wanted to use it to update how many users are playing an online game in real time. :D looks like im going to have to go and learn ajax now

And the future shall be clean by the use of Ajax - maybe a UK joke that one?

Seriously its dammed cool stuff and with things like Nintendo DS's running Opera and supporting Java/Ajax (no flash, PDF, etc - it seems) there's a lot of potential customers/users out there.

Edit Time to learn Ajax I'll be over there Ajax-qlating :D - okay I'm done now... anyone got any tissue?