Trying to crack some hashes on Vista, but CPU doesn't go over 25%??

Trajik

Hey guys,

I have a vista machine that has some pretty beefy specs. I believe its a quad core. Now i was running Cain doing a bruteforce attack on an NTLM hash. When i watch the Vista processes. CPU is at 25%. I start up John the Ripper and start cracking it aswell. Look at the processes, and JTR is at 25% and Cain is at 25%.

I want to use as much processing power as possible. Not being limited to 25% per process. Is this a thing with Vista just using each core for each process or whats happening? I'm not savvy with how Vista handles business. And i've never used any of these apps on a quad core so i am pretty clueless. Has anyone got some insight?

Cheers.

Hey guys,

I have a vista machine that has some pretty beefy specs. I believe its a quad core. Now i was running Cain doing a bruteforce attack on an NTLM hash. When i watch the Vista processes. CPU is at 25%. I start up John the Ripper and start cracking it aswell. Look at the processes, and JTR is at 25% and Cain is at 25%.

I want to use as much processing power as possible. Not being limited to 25% per process. Is this a thing with Vista just using each core for each process or whats happening? I'm not savvy with how Vista handles business. And i've never used any of these apps on a quad core so i am pretty clueless. Has anyone got some insight?

Cheers.

Find software that is written to use multiple cores? I'm pretty sure those are old programs that are written for 32 bit OSes.

Correct, if it is a quad core (which it sounds like), the older programs do not know how to handle multiple cores, hence 25% utilization.

You may be able to play with the affinity, but likely it would be best to open the program 4 times and start them in different spots.

Unless anyone knows any programs that utilize multiple cores? Its been my understanding that a LOT of programs have the issue of not being able to handle multiple cores as they should, so it's unsurprising that you're running into that issue.

Ok that clears things up. Thanks guys. It is unfortunate that programs that rely so intensely on CPU calculations can't utlise the full power of a CPU.

On that note, does anyone know of any cracking apps that do?

Run that stuff in a VM. VMware will use all the cores (or CPUs) available on supported hardware. The VM you create is then a single core CPU and don't limit the resources. The 100% of a single CPU is.... whatever resources are available to the physical box, so >1 CPU.

I haven't tried that, but it sounds like it would work?

Whats a legit source for C+A? Here: http://www.oxid.it/cain.html ?

If that's the case I'll bring up a VM tonight and test that theory.

-B

Yeah oxit.it is the legit home of C+A.

Thanks for the tip about a VM. That actually does make sense. I'll be sure to test it out.

On a side note, JTR bruteforced this hash which was 8 random characters in 2 days!! haha, wish i had that VM up....