Netbook setup

StarchyPizza

I was thinking of buying a netbook, probably the asus 900h.

I've heard you can upgrade the RAM, I haven't done too much research, but what type of RAM is it?

I was also wondering if I could put a USB dongle into it to increase my WiFi range.....(netbook hacking anyone ?!?!)

So can someone show me a good USB WiFi dongle? and anything else I may need?

I changed the memmory in my eee 900 (SSD not hard disk) for a 2GB module. They use standard laptop so-dimms and mine had a nice label on telling me the spec, which made it easy to make sure I got a matching spec for the upgrade.

If you are wanting to increase your wifi range with a USB dongle then make sure you get one with an external antenna (most with external antennas have it connect with a SMA type connector so you can add your own directional antennas for the extra bit of range) Also check out the chipset, and make sure that there are suitable drivers available for it. (By suitable I mean ones that will work with kismet, aircrack, etc.)

I was thinking of buying a netbook, probably the asus 900h.

I've heard you can upgrade the RAM, I haven't done too much research, but what type of RAM is it?

I was also wondering if I could put a USB dongle into it to increase my WiFi range.....(netbook hacking anyone ?!?!)

So can someone show me a good USB WiFi dongle? and anything else I may need?

I recently bought an ASUS eeePC 900 from woot.com for only $150! Thing is it only came with 512mb of ram. I immediately went out and bought a 2gb chip for it for only $25. RAM has really fallen in price these days, contemplating upgrading my IBM server's RAM since its so cheap now. ;)

I also ditched the Xandros OS that ASUS ships with it for a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix. I had the kernel bug that caused sluggish graphic performance but it's easily fixed with a kernel patch.

Thing is, i've never patched a kernel before. So i dug up some .deb's that do it all for you!

Check my post here if you want to try it out.