Easiest install method on the fon+

Hello everyone, I am in the process of purchasing my fon + for use with jaseger. So after some research i was looking at a few install methods. I have seen various auto flashing tools and some manual install methods, but which one would be the easiest for the person who is new to hardware flashing? I am looking to put the jaseger v2 on the fon+ simply put.

thanks in advance

Hello everyone, I am in the process of purchasing my fon + for use with jaseger. So after some research i was looking at a few install methods. I have seen various auto flashing tools and some manual install methods, but which one would be the easiest for the person who is new to hardware flashing? I am looking to put the jaseger v2 on the fon+ simply put.

thanks in advance

Use Fon Flash available at http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php

I'd agree with that but I'd also suggest having a go by hand at some point. Once you've flashed by hand you can appreciate what the automated tool is doing and will help if you have any problems in the future.

For a step-by-step on flashing by hand have a look at my full walk through guide on installing Interceptor

hey orange, same one from the fonera forum i see :D the reason i was asking on here was that the site we were on did not discuss jaseger, and was wondering how it differed from other firmwares. and with fon flash do i need to do any pre work? or simply unbox the router and start up that application?

I'd agree with that but I'd also suggest having a go by hand at some point. Once you've flashed by hand you can appreciate what the automated tool is doing and will help if you have any problems in the future.

I'm completely on the same page here as digininja. Doing it manually is neither difficult nor not worth it. You learn a lot what you're actually doing.

ok, i like the idea of working on it manually too, i just dont like the idea of rebuying a 40 dollar router on my limited budget (graduating senior in high school). so now my question is, say i try to do it by hand, do a few steps, then get stumped/stuck. Would i have to restore it before running a tool, or could it go from that point.

I been looking to purchase my own fon but I am a little comfused when the video on hak5 says to patch the kernel and sorry for the noob question but how do you use redboot I was over at digininja's website and I clicked on the redboot and it's just code can you guys help me out thanks.

I want to start by saying that you shouldn't be able to trash the fon by using redboot and getting things wrong, BUT, you are playing with writing software to bits of memory and fiddling with things that are at an "advanced" level so there is always the possibility of bricking it. I've flashed many fons and definitely mis-typed things, used wrong files, done things out of order and never had any problems, you can always drop back into redboot, do a "fis init" and then just start again. Biggest thing, don't panic, some operations take a long time and don't give any output while working. A flash on a Fon2 can take 45 mins.

Back to the question, the redboot.pl script is a perl script and is designed to run from linux. I don't know which live cds it will run from but I'd guess Backtrack will probably work as the only dependency it has is arping and a tftp server (other methods for getting the firmware to the device are available but not described anywhere I can easily point you at)

To use the redboot script just download it, make it executable by running

chmod a+x redboot.pl

then run it with

./redboot.pl 192.168.1.<1 or 254>

Give it a try, mess it up, panic, report back your problems and we will help you fix it.

ok digi ill try that, so orange i have a question for you. I installed FonFlash from gargoyle but the install list only list gargoyle,fonera, and dd-wrt as firmwares i can do. So does it automatically detect other ones if they are on my computer or is there a directory i have to put them in?