VMware ESX 3.5 question

Amd Fan!

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me? Im trying to get ESX server 3.5 working on a computer, but am confused a little. I installed it on my machine and the install went ok, when it finishes it says that to manage it to connect to it from another computer with such & such web adress. but the problem is, how can I connect to it if the esx server doesn't have the drivers for the nic's installed? how can I install the drivers? I can get to a command line interface.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me? Im trying to get ESX server 3.5 working on a computer, but am confused a little. I installed it on my machine and the install went ok, when it finishes it says that to manage it to connect to it from another computer with such & such web adress. but the problem is, how can I connect to it if the esx server doesn't have the drivers for the nic's installed? how can I install the drivers? I can get to a command line interface.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

What's making you think that it doesn't have the drivers for the NICs installed? Have you tried connecting?

• At the console press Alt-F1
  • Then type "UNSUPPORTED" and press <enter>
  • Login with your root login and password
But without networking this thing is useless, the webgui is the only way to do anything with ESXi. And unless your NIC is on the ESXi hardware compatibility list it won't work, at all. you can't install additional drivers. ESXi is a great free tool, but its not ment for home hackers, its ment to entice buisness users with Dell or HP servers to use it, then to introduce a need for things like unified mangment, high avalibility, live migration, dynamic resorce allication, power managment, storage migration etc. All of which cost a great deal and require specialized hardware.

If you just want to virtualize windows then Hyper-V from micrsoft (a free download and part of with Server 2008). Its far less restrictive when it comes to hardware, but a less mature product. I've set it up on a laptop before and it worked ok. Linux can run under Hyper-V but it will be a bit more hit and miss.

There is also Xen, Citrix and Parallels you can look at, but I have no expirence with those products.

• At the console press Alt-F1
  • Then type "UNSUPPORTED" and press <enter>
  • Login with your root login and password
But without networking this thing is useless, the webgui is the only way to do anything with ESXi. And unless your NIC is on the ESXi hardware compatibility list it won't work, at all. you can't install additional drivers. ESXi is a great free tool, but its not ment for home hackers, its ment to entice buisness users with Dell or HP servers to use it, then to introduce a need for things like unified mangment, high avalibility, live migration, dynamic resorce allication, power managment, storage migration etc. All of which cost a great deal and require specialized hardware.

If you just want to virtualize windows then Hyper-V from micrsoft (a free download and part of with Server 2008). Its far less restrictive when it comes to hardware, but a less mature product. I've set it up on a laptop before and it worked ok. Linux can run under Hyper-V but it will be a bit more hit and miss.

There is also Xen, Citrix and Parallels you can look at, but I have no expirence with those products.

He's using 3.5, so no need for the "unsupported" stuff, this one has the full CLI. Check the VMware HAL to make sure your NICs are supported.

Use some of these commands in ESX 3.5 to troubleshoot your NICs.

esxcfg-nics –l

Display physical NIC configuration

esxcfg-vswitch –l

Display virtual switch configuration

esxcfg-vmknic –l

Display VMkernel ports

esxcfg-vswif –l

Display service console interfaces

Yeah 3.5 ESX can be locally administered while 3.5ESXi can only be controlled from a remote web admin. My take on this though would be, instead of installing a driver for the unsupported NIC, just install a supported NIC instead?