Change file extension on downloadable files

kYd

OK my college blocks downloads based on their file extensions such as MP3, EXE, ASX, .MOV.

Is their anyway that I could get around this and somehow trick it into thinking the file is a .ZIP or anything that is allowed to be downloaded? Are there any online tools that will allow me to enter file URL and for it to be downloaded to their server and renamed so I can then download it or anything like this that I can set up on my site?

It will save me keep having to download files at home, and uploading them to my site.

(pendrive is too full now to hold anything except work)

thx

Basically no.

The long answer, when you request a file off the internet it will come up as that extension, even if you rename what you are saving it as to a different extension.

You only hope would be if the server hosting them wasn't using standard extentions so started calling .mp3 to .music or something like that, which is probably not going to happen.

You only option would be to try and see if you could run portaFirefox and tell it to use a different proxy on the internet and hope that your college hasn't blocked direct connections to the internet completely (some don't because they think you have to use IE and in active directory they have made policies which mean you can't change the setting in IE.)

You could set up a simple web server that will download any file in a url you sent it (using the get command most likly) then replace it's extension with some thing like WUI (Random extension) then send you the link to that file on your server, simple and easy, but effective.

I found it and cleaned it up slightly, but I still can't figure out what I was doing when I wrote this. Whenever I see something I wrote a significant period of time ago I think "What the hell was I doing? I must have been a retard then." but I can't be bothered to rewrite it (not that there is much code). I haven't used it for some time so it's an old version of CGIProxy.

Clicky

Cheers for the replies.

stingwray: I havn't tried portafox. I've tried torpark not sure if its the same tho.

Sparda: Any chance you could point me to a link or explain how I would go about doing it :)

Horza: I've got a CGIproxy running on my site, I'll give your one a shot. thanks for the link,

Ok got it all set up but not sure it's working.

I added an extension .mp3 to the table it added successfully but when I type the URL in the proxy it doesn't change it. You know whats up?

Hmm, I just tested the code and it works fine for me, so when you put your cursor over a link usually ending with .mp3 it still says mp3 in the status bar instead of being replaced?

Does the row in the table say .mp3 or mp3 in the extension field? It should just say mp3, with no dot.

Hmm, I just tested the code and it works fine for me, so when you put your cursor over a link usually ending with .mp3 it still says mp3 in the status bar instead of being replaced?

Does the row in the table say .mp3 or mp3 in the extension field? It should just say mp3, with no dot.

Sweet it worked. I thought you have to type the URL of the file in the proxy not navigate to the page and click the link.

Horza cheers, you're like a God, only better!

God I need your help, so when I go to a page I now get

WARNING: Entering non-anonymous area!

This proxy only supports HTTP and FTP. Any browsing to another URL will be directly from your browser, and no longer anonymous.

Follow the link below to exit your anonymous browsing session, and continue to the URL non-anonymously.

I tried the link it gives but it just loops back to the page.

The page is http://random:random1@www.alevelwork.com/e...xt/nph-proxy.pl

:?

Hmm, did you add a blank extension to the table? Possibly on the row with id 8?

:lol: So I did. I tried to do a * (row id7) for any extension. All working fine now thanks a lot for this and your help. :P