FreeNX uBuntu

digip

Has anyone here ever used FreeNX for uBuntu and then the nxViewer for windows. I want something faster than VNC for Remote Desktop and VNC is way too slow, even on my local lan.

edit: Finally got it working. I made changes to SSh's default port for SSH and forgot to update it for the freenx-server configuration. I must have spent a few hours trying to figure that one out. I have to say though, Its so much faster than any VNC programs I have tried so far. I can actually watch youtube videos through it, although, there is a bit of a stutter, but I wouldn't even attempt it using VNC since the box I am logged into is so old and not that powerfull to begin with.

Just be sure to update the default keys on the server side for freenx if you do decide to use it.

Has anyone here ever used FreeNX for uBuntu and then the nxViewer for windows. I want something faster than VNC for Remote Desktop and VNC is way too slow, even on my local lan.

edit: Finally got it working. I made changes to SSh's default port for SSH and forgot to update it for the freenx-server configuration. I must have spent a few hours trying to figure that one out. I have to say though, Its so much faster than any VNC programs I have tried so far. I can actually watch youtube videos through it, although, there is a bit of a stutter, but I wouldn't even attempt it using VNC since the box I am logged into is so old and not that powerfull to begin with.

Just be sure to update the default keys on the server side for freenx if you do decide to use it.

I actually set up the exact same scenario a couple of weeks ago. I had never heard or seen of freeNX before i found it. I fucking love it. It is so stable and fast. Also good for giving users terminal acess. Shits all over VNC. Glad you got it working :)

I actually set up the exact same scenario a couple of weeks ago. I had never heard or seen of freeNX before i found it. I fucking love it. It is so stable and fast. Also good for giving users terminal acess. Shits all over VNC. Glad you got it working :)

Yeah, to say it shits on VNC is an understatement. I have to say, FreeNX is way cool and was not hard to get set up at all. The uBuntu wiki on it was very straight forward and simple to understand, so anyone should be able to do it. Its as fast and stable as RDP and nice because you can use it to conenct to both *nix and windows machines, unlike RDP which only seems to work for Terminal Services on windows machines. VNC just seems outdated now after using FreeNX and the nomachine client. I just hope their are no major security holes in it, as I don't know enough about it yet...