ICS and DNSMASQ

So I had a hard time finding that Wiki for ICS and battled through it myself. I saw a bunch of posts that people were having problems with ICS and windows handing out IPs along with DNS problems on the clients/marks. The way I ended up implementing is configuring dnsmasq for opendns, the Fon was still handling the DHCP for the clients, and my laptop was just providing the door to the net. I am usually a troll and just read over forums but was curious if anyone really wanted a configuration that works this way? If anyone is interested let me know and I will document what I did.

It is a good way of doing it, please share it.

If you want to slightly improve it, run bind as a forwarder on your laptop so you can then drop into it any domains you want to hijack but leave opendns to do the look ups for everything else.

Having the fon do the dhcp is important because it then has entries in its arp table which can be used to show the ip address against the rest of the client details in the log.

• 1 month later...
So I had a hard time finding that Wiki for ICS and battled through it myself. I saw a bunch of posts that people were having problems with ICS and windows handing out IPs along with DNS problems on the clients/marks. The way I ended up implementing is configuring dnsmasq for opendns, the Fon was still handling the DHCP for the clients, and my laptop was just providing the door to the net. I am usually a troll and just read over forums but was curious if anyone really wanted a configuration that works this way? If anyone is interested let me know and I will document what I did.

hey i am in need of some thorough advice on this topic. I was trying gadmin/dhcp3 with firestarter and public nameservers. when i went via wired connection I was getting ips no prob- I learned later that using dnsmasq is the way to go. it is probably already running. usr/sbin/dnsmasq -K -F 10.1.1.100,10.1.1.200