modem + memory = garbage collector?

DrCheeseit

so... here was my idea

would it be possible to add like 8 gigs of memory to a modem using a flash drive and then make some code on the flash drive that the modem could read...?

what id like to do is have it so that when i download things a virus scanner, that i could hopefully load into the flash drive and have it run automatically, could scan the file as its being downloaded onto the flash drive

but if there is no virus its forwarded to my computer

if it has a virus it is saved on the flash drive and a file is written saying what type of virus it is

if possible how would i go about making this...

so... here was my idea

would it be possible to add like 8 gigs of memory to a modem using a flash drive and then make some code on the flash drive that the modem could read...?

what id like to do is have it so that when i download things a virus scanner, that i could hopefully load into the flash drive and have it run automatically, could scan the file as its being downloaded onto the flash drive

but if there is no virus its forwarded to my computer

if it has a virus it is saved on the flash drive and a file is written saying what type of virus it is

if possible how would i go about making this...

First hurdle:

Antivirus scanners use a fair amount of processing power, routers have like 200MHz processors and very little RAM. Virus scanners will often make a copy of a scanned file in to memory so it can quickly and heuristically look for potential virus pasterns.

If you have a router that is supported by ddwrt, openwrt or any linux based router replacement firmwares you could absolutely run ClamAV on it.

Second hurdle:

This then creates the problem that ClamAV it's self with the definition files is probably going to take up all the room in the routers flash by it's self and still want more.

You need some thing close to a full computer basically, nice idea though.

First hurdle:

Antivirus scanners use a fair amount of processing power, routers have like 200MHz processors and very little RAM. Virus scanners will often make a copy of a scanned file in to memory so it can quickly and heuristically look for potential virus pasterns.

If you have a router that is supported by ddwrt, openwrt or any linux based router replacement firmwares you could absolutely run ClamAV on it.

Second hurdle:

This then creates the problem that ClamAV it's self with the definition files is probably going to take up all the room in the routers flash by it's self and still want more.

You need some thing close to a full computer basically, nice idea though.

For your given scenario, the second hurdle is not a hurdle. Just mount a network share and let the 3rd party firmware write its output there.

Further, if he's not afraid of the slow network speeds then hurdle 1 isn't really a hurdle either.

I agree though, an old PC would do this job a lot better, but it'd be a fun academic exercise either way. And it might be useful if he's got a lot of malware coming in passively. Like for a honeypot situation that he just can't trust to run on a VM.

For the record, he did say modem and not router though. But I doubt your modem has better processing power than your router.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled on this, havent had the chance to install it and try it out but it looks hopeful. I am also not sure whether its free or not atm... They let you download it but, on the compare page it has price comparisons and net to it there is 100$USD.

From the 2600 magizine classifieds:

PacketProtector Open Wireless Router Firmware(LINK)

a stateful firewall (iptables)

WPA/WPA2 Enterprise wireless (802.1X and PEAP with FreeRADIUS)

intrusion prevention (Snort-inline)

remote access VPN (OpenVPN)

content filtering/parental controls (DansGuardian)

web antivirus (DG + ClamAV)

a local certificate authority (OpenSSL)

secure management interfaces (SSH and HTTPS)

advanced firewall scripts for blocking IM and P2P apps

IP spoofing prevention (Linux rp_filter)

basic protocol anomaly detection (ipt_unclean)

anti-phishing (OpenDNS)

automatic signature/rule updates

You could also go down the simple route, of say having a VM server running somewhere, setting up a simple script that will download a link and then scan it, if its infected lets you know, otherwise it puts it on a shared drive on your computer.

Obviously can be improved in a number of ways such as a Firefox plugin, but once you've got to this stage and your that paranoid then you might as well be browsing the web in a VM anyway.

I just stumbled on this, havent had the chance to install it and try it out but it looks hopeful. I am also not sure whether its free or not atm... They let you download it but, on the compare page it has price comparisons and net to it there is 100$USD.

From the 2600 magizine classifieds:

PacketProtector Open Wireless Router Firmware(LINK)

looks promising... ill look into it

You could also go down the simple route, of say having a VM server running somewhere, setting up a simple script that will download a link and then scan it, if its infected lets you know, otherwise it puts it on a shared drive on your computer.

Obviously can be improved in a number of ways such as a Firefox plugin, but once you've got to this stage and your that paranoid then you might as well be browsing the web in a VM anyway.

hmmm actually i have no need for this kinda thing

altho useful... it was just going to be a fun project