vb6 update / download code

proskater123

I am making a world of warcraft launcher that needs to look to see if the client is running the latest version. Then look on a server either through http (html, php, xml) file or through ftp. If the client isn't the latest then it would ask if the user would like to download then where too.

Some extras that would be great:

Progress bar as the file downloads,

weather or not the player wants the file to download while they are playing world of warcarft (file c:/world of warcraft/wow.exe )

thanks again for the help =]

Is this for a private server?

The Launcher.exe file does all that anyway.

Unless you're updating the patch through your own FTP (Like the Underworld Private Server's custom patch) then you have to authenticate with the Blizzard server to grab the patch from them.

If it is for a private server, here's a simple VB Class to change the Realmlist in WOTLK (It's changed since 2.4.3)

Form Layout:

3 Buttons:

btnLaunch

btnPrivate

btnRetail

Imports System.Text.Encoding

Public Class Form1

'CHANGE THIS VALUE'
    Public strYOUR_PRIVATE_REALM_LIST As String = "<URL>"

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'Remove this IF statement when realmlist changed.
        If strYOUR_PRIVATE_REALM_LIST = "<URL>" Then
            btnLaunch.Enabled = False
            btnPrivate.Enabled = False
            btnRetail.Enabled = False
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnLaunch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLaunch.Click
        Process.Start("C:\Program Files\World Of Warcraft\WoW.exe")
    End Sub

Private Sub btnRetail_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnRetail.Click
        SetRealmList("Retail")
    End Sub

Private Sub btnPrivate_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrivate.Click
        SetRealmList("Private")
    End Sub

Private Sub SetRealmList(ByVal e As String)

Dim strDATA As String = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllText("C:\Program Files\World Of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf", ASCII)
        Dim strOUT_TEXT As String = ""

Select Case e
            Case "Retail"
                strOUT_TEXT = Replace(strDATA, strYOUR_PRIVATE_REALM_LIST, "eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com")
            Case "Private"
                strOUT_TEXT = Replace(strDATA, "eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com", strYOUR_PRIVATE_REALM_LIST)
        End Select

My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllText("C:\Program Files\World Of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf", strOUT_TEXT, 0)

End Sub

End Class

• 2 weeks later...

so long as you just change the realmlist and leave the patchlist as it stands, the client should automatically update as it goes.

Which emulator are you running, ManGos can throw huge fits is the client is too new. I haven't really use Ascent since it was Antrix. I know Antrix liked it's client to be as up to date as possible.

With either if you set you config file to maxbuild=99999 then you shouldn't have too many problems with version conflicts.

I wouldn't worry too much about coding your program to version check, it's an integral part of the client and the client itself will tell you if it needs upgrading, there should be no reason to check it third party.