Interplanetry internet

StarchyPizza

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16086-interplanetary-internet-passes-first-test.html

I just finished reading this article and it says NASA just sent pictures from mars back down to earth using DTN (Delay-Tolerant Networking) was used. Basically what it does is send the information to a node and it waits there until it can be picked up by someone else. Kind of like if you were hitchhiking across the US hahaha. According to the article, to prevent "space hackers" they used encryption of course. The encryption seems like it just checks to see who you are and if you meet its standards it will allow you to download the info. I feel like it will of course someday be hacked and probably reveal photos and data that we would all like to see.

The way I can see the internet working in space within a solar system would be to place a set of satellites orbiting the sun such that it ensures any planet will always have line of sight contact with at least one satellite. The satellites then act nearly the exact same as normal routers. The obvious transmission method would be radio, but I would be tempted to run a nice thick fibre cable between each satellite in the ring providing they are always in the same position relative to each other.

The way I can see the internet working in space within a solar system would be to place a set of satellites orbiting the sun such that it ensures any planet will always have line of sight contact with at least one satellite. The satellites then act nearly the exact same as normal routers. The obvious transmission method would be radio, but I would be tempted to run a nice thick fibre cable between each satellite in the ring providing they are always in the same position relative to each other.

That is a good idea.

It would be so werid having something like that in our solar system, just think of the possibilities that can happen with that up there

yeah orbiting the sun? and how far away would you say these satellites would orbit the sun. i mean large solar flares can even knock out satellites here in earth orbit. look at the temps on planets like mercury, up to around 500 degrees C. those are serious temps for any electronic device to operate in. and radio transmissions would be super slow, it takes roughly 12 min for radio transmissions from the moon to reach earth and thats only about 300k miles away. i would think that light would be a faster and more reliable method of transmitting data over long distances of deep space.

yeah orbiting the sun? and how far away would you say these satellites would orbit the sun. i mean large solar flares can even knock out satellites here in earth orbit. look at the temps on planets like mercury, up to around 500 degrees C. those are serious temps for any electronic device to operate in. and radio transmissions would be super slow, it takes roughly 12 min for radio transmissions from the moon to reach earth and thats only about 300k miles away. i would think that light would be a faster and more reliable method of transmitting data over long distances of deep space.

I was thinking along the lines of orbiting the sun between Earth and Mars. Assuming Mars would be the first colonised planet.