packet manipulation

NanoyMaster

what I am trying to do:

manipulate packets "on the fly" from my laptop

eg. if someone visits google (or any other site) it will automaticly replace the images to something of my choice

so far:

on my laptop I can use Wireshark, cain & abel and various other winpcap using sniffers

(the arp spoofing even works with wireless in cain)

however I can't get ettercap to work. trying to use ettercapNG-0.7.3 on a vista laptop (sony vaio tz)

I have tryed using various winpcap versions and none of them seem to help.

on my PC (windows xp) I manage to get everything working including ettercapNG-0.7.3 with the ability to modify packets.

if anyone has any ideas or tips or tutorials (have read hundreds) I would greatly appreciate it

and you you would like any other information that I might have missed just let me know what you would like that might help

thanks in advance

what I am trying to do:

manipulate packets "on the fly" from my laptop

eg. if someone visits google (or any other site) it will automaticly replace the images to something of my choice

so far:

on my laptop I can use Wireshark, cain & abel and various other winpcap using sniffers

(the arp spoofing even works with wireless in cain)

however I can't get ettercap to work. trying to use ettercapNG-0.7.3 on a vista laptop (sony vaio tz)

I have tryed using various winpcap versions and none of them seem to help.

on my PC (windows xp) I manage to get everything working including ettercapNG-0.7.3 with the ability to modify packets.

if anyone has any ideas or tips or tutorials (have read hundreds) I would greatly appreciate it

and you you would like any other information that I might have missed just let me know what you would like that might help

thanks in advance

Head over to iron geek. He has some ettercap tips on replacing images and objects on the fly.

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/ettercapfilter

yea thats what I am trying to do on my laptop,

I can get it to work on my PC

but can't even get ettercap to work on the laptop... not sure what the problem is to be honest, (ettercap or winpcap)

probably ettercap thinking about it since other winPcap using programs work

but when I try to load the network interface (first step) it crashes with "ettercap sniffer has stoped working" and then it closes

yea thats what I am trying to do on my laptop,

I can get it to work on my PC

but can't even get ettercap to work on the laptop... not sure what the problem is to be honest, (ettercap or winpcap)

probably ettercap thinking about it since other winPcap using programs work

but when I try to load the network interface (first step) it crashes with "ettercap sniffer has stoped working" and then it closes

What is the wireless card in your laptop? Could something be interfering with it, like firewall software or something? is the right card selected? Could be any number of things, but without more details we can only speculate as to the problem.

What is the wireless card in your laptop? Could something be interfering with it, like firewall software or something? is the right card selected? Could be any number of things, but without more details we can only speculate as to the problem.

no firewall could be interfering that I know of.

not sure if the right card is selected, but tried all of the available options none of which worked (just crashed the program)

the wireless card is the default in the the sony vaio tz (it works in promiscuous mode in linux) uhmm not sure what else to say about the card. every other sniffer that uses winpcap works with it.. if that helps?

anything else I can give you that could help, I'll try to find out.

If linux is working with your card, maybe try Ettercap under linux, like on BT3.

Not sure why it is not working under windows, but if it works on one machine and not the next, compare settings and running services to see whats going on. Must be a configuration issue between the two that is different, or the card just can't do it under windows, but might under linux.

yea, kind of the awnser I expected :P no-one seems to know why, I would really rather I could get it to work in windows rather than linux. (plz don't start OS war b/s here)

think it might be a problem with the way it was compiled, not letting it run properly with winpcap. but this is just a guess, since the proggy loads, just dies when loading a device (ie the trying to work winpcap) yet everything else works with pcap (cam mitm with cain)

well I guess it's just not possable to manipulate packets on the fly (as explained in previous post, irongeek example)

I admit defeat here

thanks anyway people