Vpn On Dd-wrt Using Dyndns Trouble

Phil K.

I was wondering if anyone would know any common issues related to setting up a VPN. I have flashed my WRT54GL router using the dd-wrt vpn bin. I have enabled VPN passthrough and setup the VPN under the services tab. I have a custom dns through DynDNS setup in the DDNS tab. Encryption is enabled. I have tried to connect from windows 7, Snow Leopard, my android phone v2.2, and it won't connect. In windows it gives me error 800. I followed the directions on the dd-wrt site, on how to set this up.

Anyone know any I can check/do to get this work?

Thank you in advance,

Phil

The most common issue I know is that the RSA keys that were created are created using +0 GMT. Thus, if you live in a timezone behind +0 GMT (EST, CST, PST, etc) you have to wait until your client that you are connecting with catches up to the VPN server's NTP.

Error 800 usually means, The VPN server may be un-reachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection.

Try to do the following:

1) if you have firewall, open TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE).

2) make sure you can reach the VPN server by using ping. Sometimes, poor connection can cause this issue too.

3) You may need to updated firmware on a router or firewall if other OS (win9x/nt/me/w2k) works except XP.

4) The VPN server may not be able to get IP from DHCP for the VPN client. So, you may want to re-configure VPN host networking settings. For XP pro VPN host, go to the Properties of the VPN>Network, check Specify TCP/IP address and Allow calling computer to specify its own IP address, and uncheck Assign TCP/IP addresses automatically using DHCP.

5) Make sure no other secure software blocks your access, for example, if you use Norton secure software, you may need to add the remote client's IP so that the client can access.

6) If your VPN running on a Windows RRAS with NAT enabled, you may want to check the NAT settings.

7) If you can establish the VPN from the desktop at home but not from the laptop. Make sure no security software like Microsoft OneCare software that blocks the GRE.

Edited by Infiltrator

As Infiltrator mentioned in options 1 and 2 which I'm guessing might be the issue. I've used the PPTP server in DD-WRT and it works nicely. Make sure you can connect locally and once your able to try scanning your dyndns hostname using nmap from outside the lan and make sure 1723 is showing open.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...