Photo
- - - - -

Safely delete Vista driver cache?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 RandomClown

RandomClown

Hak5 Zombie

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

Hello, I wanted to stop Vista from autoinstalling things without my permission [screws up some things], so I want to delete any unused drivers that Vista may use in the future.

I saw in Google that there are a few folders like:
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\",
but I think that deleting those folders will corrupt my in-uses drivers.

I could not find out how to stop the driver auto install.

Is there a safe method for getting rid of unused drivers?

#2 digip

digip

-we're all just neophytes-

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (RandomClown @ Sat, 21 Feb 2009 06:15:21 +0000) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello, I wanted to stop Vista from autoinstalling things without my permission [screws up some things], so I want to delete any unused drivers that Vista may use in the future.

I saw in Google that there are a few folders like:
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\",
but I think that deleting those folders will corrupt my in-uses drivers.

I could not find out how to stop the driver auto install.

Is there a safe method for getting rid of unused drivers?

those are for installed programs. I believe the dll cache folder is where it keeps system files for restoring them if one gets corrupted, and there is also the INF folder for installed drivers but I don't recomend you just start removing things like that. If there is a driver issue with a certain device, preinstall the driver before attaching the device itself.
@xxdigipxx http://www.attack-scanner.com/ | I'm the resident dick around here, or so I am told. Don't take it personally, I just give a shit too much sometimes. respect to all, its the Internet, don't take it to heart.
"Staying quiet doesn't mean I have nothing to say, it means I don't think you're ready to hear my thoughts..."

#3 RandomClown

RandomClown

Hak5 Zombie

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:39 AM

I have a printer that causes problems on the computer the driver is installed on.
This printer interferes with USB support of all the computers in my home, as in:
- VMware could not detect "any" USB device I plugin
- I cannot eject a flash drive
- Some other probs I cant remember
[XP & Vista]

I installed it in VMware Server to work around the problem.
I had it working fine as a print server for my home until the next boot [real computer].
When I booted, the real computer installed the printer without my permission & ♥♥♥♥ed up my setup...

I had already set the option "Dont check online for drivers" so that means it was already in the computer [driver cache?].