Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RandomClown

Safely delete Vista driver cache?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I wanted to stop Vista from autoinstalling things without my permission [screws up some things], so I want to delete any unused drivers that Vista may use in the future.

I saw in Google that there are a few folders like:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\",

but I think that deleting those folders will corrupt my in-uses drivers.

I could not find out how to stop the driver auto install.

Is there a safe method for getting rid of unused drivers?

Hello, I wanted to stop Vista from autoinstalling things without my permission [screws up some things], so I want to delete any unused drivers that Vista may use in the future.

I saw in Google that there are a few folders like:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\",

but I think that deleting those folders will corrupt my in-uses drivers.

I could not find out how to stop the driver auto install.

Is there a safe method for getting rid of unused drivers?

those are for installed programs. I believe the dll cache folder is where it keeps system files for restoring them if one gets corrupted, and there is also the INF folder for installed drivers but I don't recomend you just start removing things like that. If there is a driver issue with a certain device, preinstall the driver before attaching the device itself.

I have a printer that causes problems on the computer the driver is installed on.

This printer interferes with USB support of all the computers in my home, as in:

- VMware could not detect "any" USB device I plugin

- I cannot eject a flash drive

- Some other probs I cant remember

[XP & Vista]

I installed it in VMware Server to work around the problem.

I had it working fine as a print server for my home until the next boot [real computer].

When I booted, the real computer installed the printer without my permission & ♥♥♥♥ed up my setup...

I had already set the option "Dont check online for drivers" so that means it was already in the computer [driver cache?].