ZIF Adapters

AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

New technology warrants a %$#tload of stupid questions.  The 1. 8" HDs boggled me the first time I got to see one; even more so when I discovered that a new technology was invented without making a way to back up and duplication/ghosting the drive easier for administrators.

(rant over) without further ado. . .

I run disk to disk ghosting and I save images onto a larger portable USB harddrive. 

Right now, we use a ZIF to IDE. . . .  THEN. . .  IDE to USB so we don't have to pop open or shutdown the PC down all the time.  Problem being that my ghost images are on a 250GB USB drive, and when I connect a second USB drive, the first USB HD vanishes all ninja style. (Can we say HASSLE! :-x). 

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation?

Also, I see a lot of comments about ZIF connectors have to match the company of the harddrive.  (i. e. , A ZIF adatper built for Toshiba HDs will not function for the Hitachi HDs).  Is this true? anyone try this out for sure?

It's very unusual for drives to 'disappear'. The only instance I'v had that happen (on windows) is if a stupid group policy is in place where it will only allow one additional drive letter besides the ones that are there by default (this is a broken design and should never be implemented, but it was implemented at my college).