"Hacking" Tomra Bottle Return Machines

jht129

• 2 years later...

In most stores (family fare is one) the bottle bins have to be replaced in the front, find one of these stores and open the glass one. (try for one at the end) one machine will say its fill bin being emptied, a light will also start flashing to tell the employees that it is full or needs repair so u have to be quick. grab as many as u can before someone comes and put them back through the machine, the barcode never changes between bottles so it assumes it hasnt passe, repeat as necessary.

• 10 months later...
Alright, so lately I was at a can drive event for one of my school clubs, and we collected around 3000 cans, then we took them to a Kroger which had 3, yes only 3 bottle return machines, tomra brand. They all kept breaking and taking money off. For example, when I put in 4 cans, it broke and printed a reciept for only 2 cans (20 cents) but really was supposed to be 40 cents.

My question: Is there any way of ahem "exploiting" these machines as to gain money?

Yes, I have searched Google, but only to find no relevant results.

Also, my friend opened up one of the machines and there is a numeric keypad inside. To reset the machine, I believe he pressed "[OK] [1][0][0] [OK]". Are there any more combinations that do anything else? Thanks!

8-)

Download Barcode Magic! Then Look at the UPC (BArcode) that you want to copy, then in barcode magic select the code type (It will give you an example when you select one) then just type in the UPC (Barcode) code.. Then compare them if they look the same then you are all set REMEMBER THAT THE SIZE OF THE CODE YOU PRINT OUT WILL NOT MATTER AS LONG AS THE CODE LOOKS LIKE THE ONE ON THE BOTTLE/CAN!!!! Than print them out, Spray the bottle/can with water and BOOM!!! REFUND FOR THE BOTTLE!! I have tested it today using a Stop And Shop Main Street Rootbeer Can and IT WORKS!! (I Copied the lable from that can i mean) then i stuck t lable on a Non Returnable can and it works!

• 13 years later...
On 7/22/2007 at 7:33 PM, cooper said:

That's why the beer crates were interesting. They have a refund of about 7 euros (they changed after the euro came around, and I never bought one myself so not sure) and it's not uncommon, particularly in summer with a camping nearby, to see a bunch of kids come into the store with about 2 empty crates a piece, trying to act tough by loudly proclaiming from start to finish how they drank that shit in one evening, and needing even more for this evening.

Hell, we had one customer (a friendly guy but 2 inches away from being an alcoholic bum) who would come in _every_ _single_ _weekend_ with about 5 crates. When I asked him about it, he told me he always had friends come over, and his wife would be standing behind him with a look on her face that told a rather different story. 🙂

Well I was thinking similar

I actually wanted to Co-found 

A company years ago when 

I had my hard work pay off 

I had plenty of access to financial material to Start...

I wanted to use recycled Glass

Bottles print my own labels

And partnership with the Australian Media Cores 

Like ex. Daily telegraph

That fell through miserable

I had $30 K saved at one point

I had a super that I spent

Also to use for start up sole 

Business purposes I achevieblly wanted to 

Manufacturer and Bottle up 

Fresh milk in Glass to re-live 

Our old generation old days