Unable to SSH into SJCable in DHCP Mode

tomthebuzz

Might be a newb question but I seem to be unable to ssh into the SJCable busybox when it is attached directly to my router and in arming mode.

I can see it via the router admin panel and can ping it nicely from my terminal but ssh root@dhcp_ip returns => port 22: Connection refused

When I connect directly via USB-C based Ethernet Cable on my MacBook I can ssh into the static IP but then can not activate NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT => here the bugger simply hangs in an endless loop

Any ideas on how best to tackle? Simply need to run the initial upgrades.
Thx a bunch

40 minutes ago, tomthebuzz said:

I seem to be unable to ssh into the SJCable busybox when it is attached directly to my router and in arming mode

There is a "conflict" here. Combining the two (plugging the SJC directly to the router, and having the SJC in arming mode) should lead to issues since the Shark will "be the network" in arming mode (using the IP address of 172.16.24.1) and reaching that address shouldn't really be possible since/if the router presents a totally different network and expects networking clients to connect to it. That's also why I'm a bit surprised you are even able to ping it or be able to get something in return when trying to ssh into it (although it throws back an error).

To use the SJC as a client and plugging it into a router expecting it to get network (and internet) access, I would instead create a payload that would set the SJC in "NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT" at boot and also start the ssh daemon. Then find the IP address that the Shark has received on the LAN and ssh into it.

48 minutes ago, tomthebuzz said:

When I connect directly via USB-C based Ethernet Cable on my MacBook I can ssh into the static IP but then can not activate NETMODE DHCP_CLIENT

This will not work for different reasons. One is that your MacBook most likely don't have a DHCP service running that is able to hand out a DHCP lease to the SJC. You will also have additional issues since you most likely need to configure both the Shark and the Mac to let the Shark have internet access via the Mac.