Not linking with Anker USB C ethernet adapter

zwizard

I have an Anker USB C ethernet adapter I carry with my laptop. I just got the Plunder Bug in today and my Anker will not light up a link light when plugged it. I tried a TPlink USB adapter and it links up just fine. Are there certain LAN adapter that will not work with the Plunder Bug?

Laptop has Anker USB ethernet adapter attached. That adapter is then plugged into the Plunder Bug. Then the Plunder Bug is plugged into an ethernet switch. The switch gets a link light but the Anker USB adapter does not. I swap out the Anker adapter with a TPLink adapter and it gets a link light. I've used the Anker adapter for probably close to a year at lots of different sites on lots of different switches and never had a problem with it.

OK, I guess it's the V1 of the UE300 then since it uses the RTL8153 chipset (V2 is using the same as your Anker, i.e. AX88179A)

Seems unlikely that the chipset should matter though.

I haven't heard that there should be any hardware related issues when it comes to what the Plunder Bug might "accept", I haven't been running into any issues either. I'll see if I have something based on the same type of ASIX chipset, but most GBit adapters that I have are based on RTL8153.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record... I found an ASIX AX88179 based adapter and I could reproduce the failing scenario. I.e. when attaching the ASIX adapter to a computer and then to the "target" side of the Plunder Bug, I couldn't get an IP from the network to which the "WAN" side of the Plunder Bug was connected. However, when connecting the LAN cable directly to the ASIX adapter, I got an IP address straight away.