Brand new SJB (Sharkjack Battery) and nothing works

npcdev
Go to solution Solved by dark_pyrro,

I recently purchased n SJB and it just came in yesterday. After configuring my Windows laptop and installing Ubuntu to run the Sharkjack.sh file, it doesn't even work. I've flashed versions 1.0.0, 1.0.1, and 1.1.0. All of these firmware didn't seem to resolve the issue, and flashing version 1.2.0 from the SJC didn't resolve the issue either. Googled and even used GPT to see if there was something I was missing, but nothing came out of it. Attempted to press and hold the tiny hidden button on the thing with a toothpick. But after 30 seconds and nothing happening on both "Charging" and "Arming" mode, I gave up. I also get this weird message when trying to ssh into the shark on CMD after I updated the firmware. This issue is not present in the terminal app I use for the sharkjack.sh file. If theres anything I could do or someone could do about this I would appreciate it. Really kind of disappointed because Hak5 tends to sell great products. Bummer.

Below are the pictures of the issues I mentioned above

VhfxeDa.jpg

C8DFCZK.jpgI0h2oIHk.jpg

• Solution
4 hours ago, npcdev said:

After configuring my Windows laptop and installing Ubuntu to run the Sharkjack.sh file, it doesn't even work.

Be more specific about what's not working

flashing version 1.2.0 from the SJC didn't resolve the issue either

Don't (or actually DON'T!!!) flash firmware variants that aren't supposed to be used with a specific product. The SJC firmware is for the SJC only.

Googled and even used GPT to see if there was something I was missing, but nothing came out of it.

Why not just read the official documentation, then you would have gotten answers to some things that you seem to have issues with (however, still not fully clear what those issues are)

I also get this weird message when trying to ssh into the shark on CMD after I updated the firmware.

See comment below on screenshot 2.

Regarding the screenshots specifically:

Screenshot 1; nothing strange here, it's what the "menu" looks like when executing that script, please be more specific about to which issue this is related

Screenshot 2; still nothing strange, you have probably (or; you have) been running ssh against that IP address (probably sessions against the Shark before and after the firmware update) and you need to remove that entry in known_hosts to be able to run a ssh session against that IP again, it's just standard ssh behavior, nothing Shark related specifically, just basic "ssh knowledge"

Screenshot 3; nothing strange here either when operating the battery based Shark, those commands are simply not available for the battery version (and some of those executed aren't even commands)

In detail...

HELP - not a SJB command

UPDATE_PAYLOADS - not a SJB command
from the official documentation
"The UPDATE_PAYLOADS command was introduced with firmware 1.2.0 on the Shark Jack Cable and requires an internet connection."
https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/managing-payloads/untitled

LIST - not a SJB command
the official documentation has a typo here since it refers to the ACTIVATE command when making it clear that the LIST commands is for the SJC, but... anyway... it's not available on the SJB
https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/managing-payloads/the-list-command

LIST_PAYLOADS is just an alias for the LIST command, so the same goes here as for the LIST command

ACTIVATE and the alias ACTIVATE_PAYLOAD - not a SJB command
"The ACTIVATE command was introduced with firmware 1.2.0 on the Shark Jack Cable"
https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/managing-payloads/the-activate-command

UPDATE_FIRMWARE - not a SJB command
"Shark Jack Cable users may conveniently upgrade their device's firmware by running the UPDATE_FIRMWARE command"
(and then the word "Shark Jack Cable" is mentioned in almost every step in the instruction, so it's quite obvious it's not for the SJB)
https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/software-updates/over-the-air-upgrade

The commands above, and the fact that they are "SJC only, can also be read here
https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/getting-started/default-settings#shark-jack-helpers-and-commands

So... all in all... I can't see anything being wrong with your battery based Shark, it's exactly as it should be and according to the official documentation (if there isn't any other issues that can be more specifically described in order to troubleshoot it).

I see, I read the documentation so maybe I missed the SJC specific commands. I appreciate you responding so quickly. I understand the reason behind having the SJB over the SJC due to convenience, but why totally rewrite the entire system. It would have been nice to pay a little extra money and have it be wireless. So if there is nothing wrong with my SJB, and the offical documentation is for the SJC where could I go to find the SJB documentation? The one that’s listed under the SJB appears to be the same one as the SJC. I apologize if my questions seem primitive or obvious, I’m really just starting out with the SJ.

Thanks

As you can see here (and also on other places in the documentation)...

https://docs.hak5.org/shark-jack/getting-started/shark-jack-basics

...the documentation is about both the SJB and the SJC, and as you may already have discovered, the parts that are only for the SJC is commented in the texts.

I would advise to read the documentation, and all of it, and you will see what relates to the SJB (as well as the SJC).

11 minutes ago, npcdev said:

but why totally rewrite the entire system

Not sure what this relates to, how do you know that is was totally rewritten?

12 minutes ago, npcdev said:

It would have been nice to pay a little extra money and have it be wireless.

It is nice with a lot of things and the Santa wish list can be long. As I see it, it's all about use case and every use case/scenario has its tools. So, to be specific, why would it need to have wireless capabilities? (Actually, the MT7628DAN "SoC" in itself has WiFi capabilities, but it's not part of the Shark implementation).