Metasploitable Kernel Panic

Trux95

I'm trying to install Metasploitable 2 on VirtualBox but keep running into Kernel Panic errors.

I've set up my VM as Linux/Other 64-bit and used recommended RAM. Selected recently downloaded VMDK file.

Initially, the error stated "not syncing - Attempted to kill the idle task"

After I increased the CPUs it threw a "Not Syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send report. Then try booting with the 'noapic' option."

Tried different network adapters, trying best not to expose it.

Hit escape to exit start-up and select start-up type/edit.

Not sure where to go from here or how to boot with the 'noapic' option.

I did have it running fine on my old laptop. I recently got a new one and transferred my other VMs (which also took some trial and error, but they're up after installing the extension pack). The major difference between the two PCs is Windows 10 vs 11. It's a bit of a catch 22 because Metasploitable needs more than 1 CPU, but disabling IO-APIC doesn't allow multiple CPUs to run.

7 minutes ago, Trux95 said:

I did have it running fine on my old laptop. I recently got a new one and transferred my other VMs (which also took some trial and error, but they're up after installing the extension pack). The major difference between the two PCs is Windows 10 vs 11. It's a bit of a catch 22 because Metasploitable needs more than 1 CPU, but disabling IO-APIC doesn't allow multiple CPUs to run.

Edit:

I had it running through VirtualBox on my old laptop, not installed directly as the OS if that's what you meant. Sorry if I misunderstood. 

So I've tried both methods of transferring and just doing a fresh install since I'm not really making any changes in Metasploitable that need to be saved, just leaving it as-is for penetration testing and learning. I tried copying the files and transferring them to the new laptop and I've tried exporting it as an OVF file and importing it into VirtualBox on the new laptop. Neither method seemed to work right for Metasploitable, but my Kali Linux and Ubuntu VMs transferred with the export/import method. Then I figured since I hadn't made any real changes to Metasploitable, aside from changing the default password, I would just start from scratch like you suggested, but that's when I started running into the Kernel Panic errors. Could there be some settings I may need to change on my host machine? I'm not sure why that would have an effect on VirtualBox, but maybe something in the BIOS?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dark_Pyrro! Sorry for the delayed response to this message, I got really caught up with work and school. I did try disabling VTX/VTD on my machine, but doing so resulted in a VTX error. Windows Hyper-V is disabled as well.

Yeah, I cut VTX/VTD back on after it didn't work. But I looked at Windows features as well and ensured Hyper-V was disabled. I'm beginning to consider trying an alternate, similar OS to practice penetration testing on. Do you have any suggestions?

I got it!!!!

I hit escape during the VirtualMachine startup and edited the first boot option. Then I selected the kernel line to edit, removed splash, and added noapic acpi=off to the end of the line. Hit enter to save and 'b' to boot with the changes. Sadly this only works with the current running session and taking a snapshot of the machine won't save the changes. Below is the original and the changes I made to get it running.

Original:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-server root=/dev/mapper/metasploitable-root ro quiet splash

Update: 

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-server root=/dev/mapper/metasploitable-root ro quiet noapic acpi=off

On 8/21/2022 at 11:58 AM, Trux95 said:

I got it!!!!

I hit escape during the VirtualMachine startup and edited the first boot option. Then I selected the kernel line to edit, removed splash, and added noapic acpi=off to the end of the line. Hit enter to save and 'b' to boot with the changes. Sadly this only works with the current running session and taking a snapshot of the machine won't save the changes. Below is the original and the changes I made to get it running.

Original:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-server root=/dev/mapper/metasploitable-root ro quiet splash

Update: 

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-server root=/dev/mapper/metasploitable-root ro quiet noapic acpi=off

Trux95, you've saved my learning after two nights of facing this same error!

Different to you, I was building my lab from scratch with Metasploitable 1, 2 and 3 (both Ubuntu and Windows). MS3 were just fine with Vagrant, MS1 could be fixed by adding one more processor, but nothing worked on MS2, nothing but your solution!

Thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I ran into same issue. You can run the below from windows power shell. Found this on some other site and it works. But, I don't know if you have to do it before every session. Make sure your Metasploitable is powered off before you run the below.

PS C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox> ./VBoxManage modifyvm Metasploitable --acpi off

PS C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox> ./VBoxManage modifyvm Metasploitable --ioapic off

Archived